Got my new (prev gen) Macbook Pro.. now what?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chachster, Oct 27, 2008.

1. chachster macrumors newbie

Just received my new (previous gen) 15.5" Macbook Pro 2.5gHz.

Just picked up an incase bag for travelling with it.

I'd like to keep it in great shape.

I've seen keyboard covers, skins, etc.

What is the best keyboard skin? Is there a protective skin that I can apply easily that will protect the outside and protect the wrist rests and possibly the trackpad?

I've seen some online, but would like to know what people here use and like. Maybe I am just being OCD, but I'd prefer to keep scratches, etc on a skin and not on the actual macbook pro.

Also, in addition, are there any must have apps?

Sorry, this is my first mac and I'm a mac noob. Been a DOS/Windows user my whole life... until now :)
    Thanks!!

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Treat your new MBP like a baby and it will always look like new. Don't bother with stuff like keyboard covers unless you are going to let the world use your new laptop. I've never owned a keyboard cover and mine looks like new. Now if you are a total slob and klutz then many a keyboard cover is in order otherwise don't waste your $. Save it for useful stuff like more RAM, larger HD, or new s/w.

The incase bag is great. I have one myself that I sometimes use as a bag, and other times use as a sleeve.

3. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I was never a fan of those keyboard covers. The iKlear product is what The Apple Store uses on the display machines and it has worked well for me. Rule #1 is keep beverages away from your machine.

4. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

I've got one of these skins on my iphone, and I'm considering getting one for the top of my MBP. They have great customer service and the skins are of excellent quality.

Gelaskins for MBP Classic

5. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

Best accessory for previous gen MBP is Applecare. You'll get 2 years coverage on the faulty 8600 gpu, but Applecare covers you for 3 years.

6. KSpider macrumors regular

Applecare (at somepoint) can get it on ebay for 200

id get a incase hard case or macally shell or something to protect from scratches...

More RAM (CHEAP to upgrade to 4GB)

iKlear, and tcphoto said, keep beverages away, if its within spill distance, it WILL spill...wether its you, your dog, wife or an earthquake, it will happen.

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

ha, dont have a wife, or a dog (or a pet), my GF lives 6hrs away, and ive never felt an earthquake in my life... lets hope im not a clutz

8. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

I've already used Radtech Screensavrz to protect the keyboard and the screen instead of keyboard cover... works great!

9. chachster thread starter macrumors newbie

Have applecare on its way.
    Have 4gb ram on its way.

I like the cloth to cover the keyboard..

As for a protective cover, I've looked at the macally... they have two versions, one that covers the wrist rests and on that does not. Any one have either of these and how well do they work? Do they trap in heat?

As for food, drink, etc... that's not anywhere near my new mac!

The more I use it, the more I say "Why didn't I do this years ago!"

10. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I'm pretty OCD like you mentioned OP, and wanted to get a nice case to protect my MBP from scratches.

I tried the Incase hard case since it was highly recommended, but it added like a pound of weight to my MBP and made it feel much bulkier to me (the niceness of the 1" thin Macbook Pro was negated.). And it was a pain to take off.

I opted to get an invisible shield since it protects against scratches, and doesn't add any noticeable weight or bulk to the MBP, I still have the nice, sleek look of MBP that drew me to it in the first place :). I got the full body one (top, bottom, wristrest area, touchpad, and touchpad button. Just a bit of warning though, the Invisible shield "full-body" kit doesn't cover the corners of the MBP, kinda lame. So I did a "custom-job" and used some left-over film in the kit to cover up my corners.

The touchpad cover does make the touchpad a bit harder to use, but I'm anal about getting that "greased up shiny touchpad look" so I'll deal. Besides, I use an external mouse most of the time anyways.

I also got a zCover silicone keyboard cover from the Apple store. I don't want my keyboard to have the "shiny keys" from use, so I got that. It does make typing a bit harder though, as I seem to miss letters often. But I'll deal. I just want to keep this MBP looking as new as possible.

Hope this helps.

11. mattmartincouk macrumors newbie

I've tried Apple Peelz (the whole peel but only use the trackpad/wristpad ones now).

Speck hard case
    Incase hard case

The incase wins by a mile. Much better build quality than the Speck and as soon as Incase make one for the new MBP - I'll be getting one.

Slightly more pricey than the peels/speck case but worth it!

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree completely, and you say Applecare is on its way. Otherwise, congrats on your MBP, and enjoy it; it's a terrific computer.
    Cheers

13. KC2 macrumors regular

The Incase hardshell case (http://goincase.com/products/detail/15-hardshell-case-cl57117) is AWESOME , but be warned that if you use it with the Incase nylon bag (with the faux fur inside) (http://goincase.com/products/detail/15-nylon-sleeve-plus-cl57069), the shell adds a little extra layer. The slight extra width it adds to the MBP makes it very difficult to remove the bag from the case.

After traveling in airports this weekend and having to remove the MBP from the bag, I unfortunately decided I'm going to sell my nearly new hardshell (the clear one). PM me if you're interested. Sorry for the shameless plug. Hopefully the PSA outweighs the taboo of the advertisement.