Got my Pencil, now what?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by mhoepfin, Jan 28, 2016.

1. mhoepfin macrumors regular

So I got my Pencil tonight and I've used it for a few minutes. Now I'm bored with it and realize I'd like to normally just use my finger to do stuff. What are some things I can do that will make me interested in it?

2. s1m macrumors 6502

I use the notability app pretty much all day every day. I mark up meeting notes, reports, board papers etc.

At home I use it to sketch out home rennovation stuff - pretty much like a pencil and paper - except all my stuff is on eplace, I can add photos to documents and the like.

I have the artistic talent of a dead fish so the drawing is pretty basic.

3. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Brother!

I, too, have all of the artistic skills and aesthetic sensibilities of a toddler given an Apple pencil to stop him from eating the crayons.

What program do you do your home reno sketches in?

4. s1m macrumors 6502

I still notability - simple sketches, wiring diagrams, layouts and measurements

5. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

I am here, as well, except that I still don't have the Apple Pencil. I figure I will eventually get it for my Pro, but I can't think of a compelling reason to do so. I am enjoying the Pro immensely without it.

6. s1m macrumors 6502

I was going to give up the Pro just before I got the pencil. For me the downsides of the Pro (the size and weight) were not offsetting the good (the size and subseuqently the sound). But then I got the pencil and the Pro is perfect for - the ability to handwrite legible (legible for my underlying handwriting anyway) is fantastic for me.

The differnce in writing on screen with the Pencil compared to fingers and other stylii is dramatic - see attached pic. handwriting.jpg

7. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

8. Cnasty macrumors 68030

Cnasty

Anyone have any pencil solutions they have found to work very well for them?

I find it very slippery and may need to add some grip let alone not losing the thing.

9. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

It can get slippy and in my office where it gets warm I can see it being a tad frustrating at times. So far I'm learning towards using notes app over notability so far.

10. artfossil macrumors 6502a

artfossil

I use the Moxiware magnetic sleeve (white). It makes the Pencil less slippery and allows the Pencil to stick to the iPad or the Smart Cover or Smart Keyboard. As an added bonus, the cap will stick to the Pencil while charging in the Lightning port.
    http://www.moxiware.com/products/apple-pencil-magnet

11. Cnasty macrumors 68030

Cnasty

I keep hearing about this thing and it looks fantastic. Thanks!

12. artfossil macrumors 6502a

artfossil

Just be aware that I don't know how I'll ever get it off. It fits REALLY snugly. But it's worth it not to misplace my Pencil and I really prefer the matte surface to grip.

13. Cnasty macrumors 68030

Cnasty

Do you know if it will magnetically stick through a smart cover/silicon case from Apple or is it not strong enough and it needs to be right on the metal?

14. artfossil macrumors 6502a

artfossil

I have the Apple Smart Keyboard and the Pencil with the sleeve on sticks securely to the edge opposite the cover hinge. (The edge that opens.) Even with the Silicone case, which I just got.*

I have stuck my iPP into my bag several times without realizing the Pencil was on the cover

(*Good grief, I'm spending more on the care and feeding of--er, accessories for--my iPP than I am on my pets!)

image.jpeg

15. Cnasty macrumors 68030

Cnasty

Excellent! Ordering one right now. Thanks for all this feedback.

16. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

17. artfossil macrumors 6502a

artfossil

See link to Moxiware upthread.

18. s1m macrumors 6502

I have the smart cover and the pencil sticks to it nicely. I am using Notability for a sequence of about 45 planning meetings and the ability to take notes like I would in the old days plus highlight things in PDFs, sign PDFs and search for typed text in the notes is awesome. My only reservation at the moment is if they make the next versions of the iPad Air Pencil compatible - I might go back to the smaller size.

19. The CameraGuy macrumors newbie

The CameraGuy

Thanks to who started this thread. I ordered one of these. A little pricy with shipping, but this is nice.

20. Max Your Macs macrumors member

I kept bouncing back and forth between Notes and Notability myself but I kept coming back to Notes. I like that it's part of the system so I know it will be around and not disappear like so many other third parties have done. I find it easier to organize and frankly, the notes and text, while simpler, looks much cleaner on my iPad, iPhone and iMac. Even though it doesn't have some of the bells and whistles that Notability does, it works great for me and should not be overlooked as a great note app.