Got my rMBP hinge "fixed" today but now this is happening.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgmusicman94, Jun 19, 2013.

1. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

So today I brought my 15" rMBP to the genius bar today because of a loose hinge, thought I'd get it tightened before my applecare ran out next week. But I got home and turned it on and now there are dark spots on the bottom of the screen. I don't know how these screens are assembled but is there a chance the tech tightened something too tight? I plan on bringing it back tomorrow to solve the problem.

Attached Files:

2. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

its not dark spots, its white spots...

those are what they called as backlight bleeding...

yeah, just get it to genius.

3. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

seems like they goofed up while fixing the connector, take it in at the soonest.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

In this case it looks like half of the backlight is failing to turn on, basically every other LED is off, creating the dark spots. Definitely take it back to the store.

5. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

Take it back to the store and let a Genius take a look at it. They should be able to diagnose and fix the issue. Let us know what happens and the end result.

6. mgmusicman94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I just left the apple store, genius said they probably tightened it too much and damaged something, so they ok it in for a new display.

Also I asked if there's any way to make sure it doesn't get an LG display and he said they're all the same.. so I'm hoping it's a Samsung.

7. mgmusicman94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update: Got my computer back today, checked the display manufacturer through terminal, it's a Samsung. Success!

8. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

ur odl one was lg? other then the issues, is there a differenc eu notice in terms of color between the 2?

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Thought teething was "normal". Most displays I've seen have it but you only see it with a black screen with the backlight on max.

10. Scotty Pro macrumors newbie

How do you do that ??

11. LogiTek macrumors newbie

Run this command from terminal:

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Look at the beginning of the second line to see which manufacturer made your display. If it starts with LP then you have an LG display. Samsung displays start with LSN

12. mgmusicman94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Both brands look fine but the LG ones have had ghosting issues. My original screen was LG and ghosted and I got it replaced with a Samsung.

Yes some displays have a very slight case of it but the amount mine was doing it was unacceptable.

13. Scotty Pro macrumors newbie

thanks,
    just ran the command and mines is coming up LTN :confused:

14. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

You have a 13 in. That Terminal Command does not work for your model.

There is no known way of determining panel manufacturer in a 13 in. unfortunately.