got my self an all in one printer..

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by shenfrey, May 5, 2011.

1. shenfrey macrumors 68000

... and I have no idea how I lived without one for so long. I'v not had a printer for years, YEARS, I keep most of the things I need online weather its through email or documents. Served me well enough for the time being but I decided to take the plunge.

I saw a cheap HP all in one photosmart B110 for just over £40 and I thought to myself "well, for £40 I think for a piece of hardware that does this much, I suppose its worth the gamble" I mean afterall, I'd rather realise I don't like a £40 piece of hardware then a £1000 piece.

Anyway so I got it out the box, turned it on and the screen popped up telling me what I should do to get up and running and guide me through the options, and what a great job it did! From as simple as installing the ink, to aligning the printer to setting up wireless networking and even to set up wireless printing from around the world through email. It was all so simple with my Imac and base station, it just picked it up straight away, didn't even have to download any updates, it just picked it up and went. Same with the Ipad, same with my other apple products. OSX just seemlessly intergrates my all in one printer, weather its with the scanner and preview, or its with just printing in general. I LOVE it and never realised how much productive work you can get done with a printer, weather its just printing off flight information or train information or shopping lists or anything like that.

It sounds mad doesn't it? Something so simple, so stupidly obvious and here I am praiseing about it, but I can't help it, its been at least 10 years since I last had a printer and that wasn't even mine it was my fathers! Unbelievable, I am enjoying it so much especially the ability to beable to print from anywhere around the world with just a simple email address and the set up made that super easy to set up to.

So all in all I am one very happy person, but I can't help but wonder, wirelessly of course, would a windows machine have done the job quiete as easily with a generic router such as a netgear or D-Link. I hope I never get to find out : )

Thanks guys, just had to brush off my excitement (over a printer! lol) here on the forums.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well if your printer has an IP address then I can blow your mind. Just fire up your favorite browser and put the printer's IP in your browser's address bar. The printer will have a web wiki that you change many setting with.

3. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

You know, it probably does but at the end of the day, right now it just works. It prints and it prints well, I don't really wanna mess around with any settings because its doing what I want it to do currently, but thanks for the advice if I ever need to in the future!

4. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

i wonder how happy you will be when you pay for the first replacement printer cartridge.

or the first repair when a part of the all in one breaks.

not too be all negative but you are in for some costs.

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Imma have to agree with this. I've had several HP AIO's and all of them crapped out/broke within a year. All I'm doing is just printing too, nothing fancy at all. The only really good AIO's are, oddly enough, the really expensive ones. The smaller ones generally have something go wrong with them within a year from my experience.

Great concept with these printers however something appears to be lacking with these HP units for some reason.