got my September iPhone replaced: comparison.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matthewHUB, Mar 22, 2008.

1. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

hi all,

my ringer switch broke, and i just got my phone replaced. Build quality is just as good, and speaker volume (ear not speaker) is MUCH louder. haven't had time to test the speakerphone, but on my old phone all my calls were made on full volume, and now around half-volume is loud enough.

just thought i'd let you know!

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Anecdotal as it may be, it's nice to see that Apple might be making silent improvements as we go along. Good stuff.

3. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Hey Matt, did your ringer switch break of your own fault, or was it a flaw in manufacturing? Did they charge you anything to replace it? How forceful did you have to be with them to get them to repalce it? I ask all this because I have a September iPhone with a negative black issue and have always been hesitant with exchanging it because I doubt its a good enough reason.

4. Draddy macrumors regular

they are,

the new ones (mine is first week of 08) have a louder speaker, louder ear piece, and better battery life (and I've heard brighter screens)

5. spinstorm macrumors 65816

Unfortunately the screen will be worse - negative blacks - bad colours...

It may look brighter but if you put your new iPhone next to an original one and compare the screens I promise you that you will be severely unhappy!

6. Draddy macrumors regular

no, not at all actually... a few iPhones in late 2007 had those issues, but the were the the extreme minority and were all fixed at request. Mine has neither issue.

7. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

hey.

nah the switch broke by itself. I mean i use it a lot. Probably flick back and forth 10 times a day. Because i took a video of it malfunctioning they couldn't argue... they switched it straight away! Plus, mine had scratches on etc as i don't use a case and now i have a brand new one! yay.

screen is fine thus far...

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Agreed. The more recent iPhones are much better than what they were back during the summer. I exchanged my July 6 iPhone back in January and the sound is loud. I can actually hear it ring in my coat pocket now.

9. victor kelly macrumors newbie

Is there a down load for these volume improvements or do we have to get our existing iphonr replaced as I'm cracking up missing phone calls due to low ring tone.

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

There were a few firmware upgrades that were supposed to fix the low volume problem but it never fixed mine. For me, it took taking it to Apple to get it swapped for a new one to fix the volume problems.

11. Stngray macrumors member

Take a pin and punch a couple holes in the speaker covering on the bottom of the phone (the left one). Did this around christmas time, and it made the ringer volume much louder, with no ill side effects so far.

12. spinstorm macrumors 65816

Some screens were ok but the majority are not.

If you got a good screen then you are VERY VERY lucky but I am 100% certain that if you put the thread starter's original iPhone next to the new one the difference will be night and day just like with my US iPhone and 16GB UK iPhone.

Apple will only change it if it has dead pixels and the chances are you will get another bad screen... they say that negative black is within specs...

How do I know this? because I complained to Apple and was speaking with executive corporate relations and they changed my phone several times with the same problems and even took my old phone and took it apart and said that there was nothing wrong with it.

Ignorance can be bliss and most people simply do not realise how much worse the new screens are because they have no comparison!

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Matt, did you get a refurbished...

iPhone or a brand new one? The refurbs begin with 5K in the serial number. :cool:

14. alFR macrumors 68020

Lordy, are you still bashing on about this? :confused:

15. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

This may be a dumb question but, you say your phone is from the first week of '08. How do you know when it was actually made?
    Thanks

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The only difference between my two iPhones that I bought in January and my iPhone that I bought in July was the sound. I had a chance to compare my two January bought iPhones and the iPhone bought in July before I returned it. Side by side, there was no difference in screen quality or anything else, just the sound. I know there were two different screen model numbers in the early days and that may explain some difference people say there may be but for most, there is no difference.