Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

:p

At least, there only appears to be one manufacturer so far, this A027.

I haven't seen any others of the handful of ones I played with at apple store were that as well.

what concerns me is over time, maybe as gen 1 approaches EOL, perhaps mid cycle, perhaps earlier, definitively for future generations, is that its only gonna get UGLIER the disparities between screens if history is any trend with rMBP's. Once its streamlined people doing a quick review aren't gonna notice the difference, they're going to be benching it and moving on.

I expect it to turn into a total QC bloodbath once MacBook dips its price to mainstream audiences and becomes the standardized notebook. Oh boy are we in for good times. my first gen white "MacBook" (intel 13") had a nice screen (hopped to black macbook which had a worse screen by then, and was ready for something new so went for a 15" MBP non unibody, what a classy machine but crap shoot too) but i remember over time, as that mainstreamed, you saw some nice ones, and some oh my goodness netbook/disposable quality.

The Retina display will always look beautiful, there's no stopping that. But yeah I agree, quality control has gotten pretty bad with the rMBP and I don't see that changing with the rMB. But the majority of users won't notice a difference.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
in what way is the anti reflective coating different? i've only seen a027's so far. do you mean to say the anti reflective coating difference is whats causing variation in the screen? its more likely the panel than that i would think.

I have A027

Laserducky

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013

snatched it up on my lunch break, only had like 10 minutes to play with it but I placed it next to my gold rMB which I was enjoying but beginning to wonder if it would hold up over time for my preferences.

side by side, I noticed the gold (left) has a pink tinge whereas the SG looks clearer, both are A027 panels too.

its weird because i thought i noticed the rMB being a bit on the red side last night, but its not terrible.

since im a screen stickler, thought i'd post some pics (for science? for paranoia? also disregard the bold font on the right, font smoothing is still on whereas on the left it is not, but I turned it off right after taking this pic cause I prefer non smoothing on a retina display, it seems crisper):

in person, the pink is more obvious next to one another, its not completely accurate a 6+ shot on the fly can only reveal so much. and its not TERRIBLE, but just worth noting for people who are sensitive to it.

Nice buy ! Love the looks of the newest (and thinnest) kid on the Mac block.

Just try and enjoy the device. Going around checking for colour profiles, lcd panel info, comparing with other machines and stuff will just get you mad ;-)

I've heard of serial returners ...and very often its from the frying pan to the fire. No doubt we expect the VERY best from Apple considering the price we're paying but hey, its not a perfect world and if we go around inspecting a Ferrari with a magnifying glass and take apart its engines ...we may not be happy with what we find.

Cheers and congrats on your new buy !

Laserducky

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
That's a healthy perspective to have.

I'm happy with my SG. Looks so sleek

Yes, you should be happy ..its a wonderful machine !!!

Hands itching to buy it but my better half, i.e. the Finance Secretary will not oblige..... ;-)

Cheers !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.