got my touch! No 2.0 though :(

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by copydeskcat, Jul 12, 2008.

1. copydeskcat macrumors regular

Finally got my 32gb touch today in the Florida mall Apple store, but I couldn't persuade the guy in the store to give me a voucher for the 2.0 software, despite spending $800 in total. I can't play tunes yet as I can't sync until I get back to to the uk. Any ideas on how to go about getting it for free anyone?

2. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Why would you buy an iPod touch in the United States when you live in the UK. Aren't there going to be regional issues?

3. Jeegan macrumors newbie

So new iPod Touch's don't come with a voucher for the 2.0 firmware? That seems odd. Is Apple just planning on not including 2.0 with the touch?

4. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

There's gonna be a lot of uproar if Apple doesn't. Trust me, Apple doesn't need anymore bad press.

5. Jeegan macrumors newbie

I would hope so, because that would just be crazy. Oh and he probably bought his iPod here due to the better deal he gets via the conversion of pounds to dollars. The 32GB iPod here is only about 250 pounds after conversion as opposed to 329 pounds for a 32GB iPod in the UK. At least that would be my guess.

6. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

you got it in one. After tax I saved about 50-60 quid. Which I spent on an fm transmitter.

7. atomheartmother macrumors regular

Ouch. You shouldn't have gotten an FM transmitter. They are all pretty much universally terrible, not matter the cost. If you've got an hour to spare and can follow directions, a hardwired FM modulator will give you much higher quality/performance for undoubtedly less (they're about $30).

8. amusiccale macrumors 6502

FM transmitters work well enough, depending on where you live. I figure, with the compressed source files, how much purism can the music really stand?

9. atomheartmother macrumors regular

That's like saying that since MP4's are compressed files, we might as well just use the garbage $5 Wal-Mart brand earbuds as opposed to the Apple ones or higher quality Bose ones.

You'll only be degrading the sound quality even further by using an FM transmitter. They key is to maintain as much purity as possible; and if you can do it for cheaper (e.g., an FM modulator), why not?

10. dchao macrumors 6502a

If Apple do not include a free upgrade, most people are going to wait for the 2.0 software to be preloaded onto the Touch. Sales of the Touch is going to be slow before they flush out the old model.

Also - Regional coding is only on DVD and Blu-Ray, not music.

11. amusiccale macrumors 6502

If you're comfortable with wiring, an FM modulator is probably a good idea. If it's just now and then or if you spend time riding in other people's cars, some sound is still better than nothing.

12. macfan881 macrumors 68020

try talkin to apple via email etc see if they can get you the update

13. 4lp1 macrumors newbie

I thonk that that 2.0 won't be included in Touch, cause that january update wasn't included my touch, witch i bought 4 days ago..

And to prof.: Its so much cheaper to buy iPods from US than from UK or other Europe, cause there (in EU) is all kind of taxes and duties you have to pay. Exept, in US 8 Gigs touch costs $299, in finland it costs 289€, wich is about $459.
    There is that little problem that you break the law if you don't pay those taxes, but you might have lucky to avoid those custom officers.
    (And sorry about my grammar, I'm not very good at english..)

14. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

I should have said, i got the January update with it, not that it matters, since that comes with 2.0 anyway.

15. alteridiom macrumors newbie

just got an ipod touch 32. manager at the store said it probably wouldn't have 2.0 on it, it doesn't. she told me to download it at home, if i have to pay for it, which i will, call her and she would send me a gift card or something. so be sure to ask about it. i'll let you know exactly what i get when i talk to her.

16. LloydBraun89 macrumors member

yeah i hope it does as well. on the apple site it says 2.0 software sold separately.

17. dchao macrumors 6502a

2.0 won't be Pre-Installed

Firmware 1.1.5 is now available or the iPod Touch. Most likely in the near future, iPod Touch will be preinstalled with 1.1.x only. And if you want 2.x, it will always cost you $10 to get it, it won't be preinstalled.

18. megahertz macrumors member

19. typeoserv macrumors newbie

this is funny

20. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

If you really want it free you can just d/l the firmware via torrent or something and install it.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Uh the Apple headphones are pretty crappy in ever way. The only good thing about them is that they work, but that's as good as it gets.

22. dchao macrumors 6502a

Isn't that stealing? :eek: