Got my unlock approval email from at&t. Next step?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ahfu25, Jun 29, 2017.

1. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

It's been a while and I'm not sure what the process is anymore. I got a new iPhone 7p And requested the unlock from at&t. Just got the confirmation email and it says that I have to insert a non-at&t sim to unlock it. I don't remember it being like that, is this new or do I just plug it into iTunes like before to get the unlock confirmation message?

2. Newtons Apple, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017

Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

That would be news to me but would not be surprised that they have additional hoops to jump though to get your phone unlocked.

I am not sure but I think in the USA you need to backup via iTunes and the restore with that backup and you get a message telling you that your phone is unlocked.

3. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

I have always connected to iTunes, however I never unlocked a phone so I could use on another carrier, only for the resale value.

4. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

If you don’t have access to one, your local T-Mobile store can insert a SIM to unlock it.
    This is standard now. I’ve done this. Super easy.

5. noobinator macrumors 601

Just use itunes to see if it says it's unlocked. If it say it is, then it is. Might be a good idea to test with a friend's sim though.

6. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Just be sure if you doing it for you that you test with a carrier you plan to use as the device locks to the sim you put in it.

7. noobinator macrumors 601

This is false.

8. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Really? Here in the U.K. We have to request unlocks from the carrier every time I thought?

9. noobinator macrumors 601

I guess I just assumed this was the USA. I'm not sure if ATT is elsewhere.

This person bought an iPhone through ATT (branded ATT at least) and ATT unlocked it. Here in the states when it's unlocked like this, it's unlocked for good. I recall something about Unlocked Sim Free models from Best Buy locking to the first sim but I'm not even sure if that was here and for what phones/under what circumstances.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Just some notes here.

In the US, it's not necessary to restore an iPhone to complete an unlock. Nor is it necessary to insert a SIM from a different carrier. The iTunes server activation policy is applied OTA. You are simply unlocked.

You can restore if you want to see the 'Congratulations' message in iTunes or if you don't have a SIM to test.

Just insert a different SIM if you want to move to that carrier. It IS helpful to do this though just to verify that your carrier DID unlock the iPhone.

11. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I've gotten the same email several times... It doesn't say you have to insert a sim card TO unlock it.... It says to insert the new sim card to complete the set up process, they assume you are using a non-ATT sim card if you requested an unlock. But it's not required in order to unlock it... Once you get that email your phone is unlocked.

12. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Next step: don't ever buy another locked iPhone. SIM-FREE is the only way to go.

13. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

You only have to unlock from the original carrier.

It's part of the initial contract subsidy terms.