Got myself a iPhone 3G... now what?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Keva161, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Keva161 macrumors member

I got a 16GB black 3G today on 02 PAYG. Have done a bit of general stuff on it, setup emailing and tried a couple of apps (Facebook, twitter etc) but are there any "must have" apps that I should try out? And how do you get custom ringtones on this thing? Also if anyone can tell me how to change the wallpaper that would be nice :)

2. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Wallpaper on the lock screen? settings/wallpaper.
    Must have app? Flycast internet radio.
    and the number 1 thing to do is Jailbreak that thing quick. http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

3. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

4. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

No he doesn't.
    :rolleyes:

Keva161,

Go to the apps store and look for some free apps to wet your appetite, then go over to toucharcade.com

if you are into games.

Have fun!

5. Pennine macrumors 6502

Why, what's so good ?

6. Keva161 thread starter macrumors member

I have firnware 2.2 on my phone atm but everytime I plug it in to load some music on it. iTunes keeps bugging me about updating to 2.2.1. If I update it can it be jailbroken?

7. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

If you want to get custom ringtones, just upload your .mp3s into www.audiko.net and cut them how you want the ringtone to be :)20 - :40) and drag it where, then create the iPhone ringtone file, and drag into iTunes, then sync. It's all really easy.

8. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

2.2.1 can indeed be jailbroken using the tools from the dev team.

if you want to unlock it to other networks make sure you read all the instructions first

9. deadsouls macrumors regular

thats dumb. why cant you just select a song directly from the iphone like other smartphones? you have to be on a computer just to get a new ringtone??

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

You can select it from the phone if it's in the proper format. Thing is, the format isn't mp3 so it needs to be converted on your computer.

It's actually very convenient because you don't have to get online or go to some crappy mobile site to search for and download new ringtones.

11. moka macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Use it? :)

12. Acronym macrumors 68000

you dont need to jailbreak its just someone preference jailbreaking allows you to apply different themes to your phone

such as these

you can also get landscape texting (if you care) Video Recording and Copy and Paste, Custom SMS sounds, and more.

jailbreaking allows your iPhone to do a bit more then what apple is currently allowing

should you choose to jailbreak there is a guide in my sig on jailbreaking and SMS tones and ringtones