Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mnowell69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2013
Bedford, UK
Firstly, i know that this subject has been done to death in some ways, but i just need a clarification of sorts.
I finally got my dream POWERBOOK G4 15 DLSD knowing that it had a non-oem charger and a duff battery. It all works like a dream, but i thought to buy myself a new battery and an oem charger because of all the stories about dodgy chargers. I got an A1021 charger from ebay but it doesnt work, no green/orange light and no power although i do feel the 'vibration' through the metal skin of the powerbook. Is this charger definitely faulty as the non-oem one works perfectly? Could it have broken the powerbook in some mysterious way so now an apple charger wont be recognised?
Thanks for reading.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Check the charger for the wattage. Should be a 65W charger.

iBook G3/G4s, Titanium PowerBook G4s and 12" Aluminum PowerBook G4s use 45W chargers.

All 15 and 17" Aluminum PowerBook G4s use a 65W charger.

If your charger is 45W then that is probably the problem.

EDIT: I've had some chargers advertised as 65W only deliver 45W. I've had to send a few back because of that.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
You should be able to use a 45W charger as long as the machine doesn't use more than 45 watts.
But what happens when you use more than 45 watts?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You should be able to use a 45W charger as long as the machine doesn't use more than 45 watts.

It does not charge. Using it over time instead of the 65W charger can damage the charging components.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004

You can't charge it up from dead without a 65w charger.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
It does not charge. Using it over time instead of the 65W charger can damage the charging components.

Huh
Why is that? Do the smaller chargers output lower voltage? I don't think the iBooks/PowerBooks have a 'smart' plug like the MagSafe, do they? (MagSafe plug has a small chip that stores data and controls the light).

Does the same happen with MagSafe chargers?

Mnowell69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2013
Bedford, UK
it is a 65w charger and seeing as how it doesnt do anything but the 'knock off' one does i am assuming it is faulty. Does the DC board in any way influence a genuine apple charger? I dont really want to buy another apple charger only for the same thing to happen.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
it is a 65w charger and seeing as how it doesnt do anything but the 'knock off' one does i am assuming it is faulty. Does the DC board in any way influence a genuine apple charger? I dont really want to buy another apple charger only for the same thing to happen.
There are three PowerBooks in my house and one iBook. Only one of them has a genuine Apple charger and I got it less than a year ago. So, the one you got is probably faulty.

I get my chargers here. They are $40 currently, a bit expensive, but like Macs they last forever and are good quality.

This shop has my loyalty because their chargers have never failed on me.

As to the DC-In board, it doesn't know the difference. There's no Apple chip or anything like that that locks out non-Apple chargers.

----------

Huh
Why is that? Do the smaller chargers output lower voltage? I don't think the iBooks/PowerBooks have a 'smart' plug like the MagSafe, do they? (MagSafe plug has a small chip that stores data and controls the light).

Does the same happen with MagSafe chargers?
45W is enough charge to trickle charge a 15" PowerBook and only barely enough for the 17" to stay running, but not charge.

The iBooks and PowerBooks do not have any kind of smart technology. It's just a barrell plug.

Over time charging systems will start to degrade because they are not receiving sufficient charge. So, if you use a 45W charger on a 65W system only do it for a short while.

Additionally, you cannot start a 65W system with a 45W charger. A 65W charge however, can be used for a 45W system. It will step down to the correct voltage. I use a 65W charger for my daughter's iBook G4.

I don't think you can insert the wrong kind of Magsafe adapter into the wrong system. I think by the time Apple went to Magsafe all the models were operating using the same wattage.

Last edited:

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Do the iBook/PowerBook chargers or Magsafe chargers output a simple steady 18 volts (or whatever it is)? Or is there more to that? Because if they just output a simple 18 volts (or whatever it is) then you can just get an 18v (or whatever it is) power adapter, cut the cord/plug from the old charger, and attach to new power adapter.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have no idea. This is also something I'd only try if there was nothing else to do.

I've had a $5 charger catch fire on me inside a Starbucks once.

Not an experience I care to repeat because I spliced wires.

Xernicus

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2015
Seattle, WA, USA
The only thing that would cause vibration in a PowerBook near the trackpad would be the hard drive, AFAIK.

The combination of no barrel light, and no chime (does the PowerBook power LED light up?) along with a spinning hard drive would indicate an issue with power getting where it needs to go. (Enough power for the Hard Disk but not enough for the vital system components)

If your third party charger works, then that confirms that the issue is with the adapter and not the DC-input board or the Logic Board.

Just out of curiosity's sake, could you take a picture of the regulatory and voltage information? Depending on how much you paid for it, I would not be surprised if it is a "Genuine" Counterfeit Apple power adapter, those are quite common on eBay.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
i charged my 15" retina with a 13" retina charger, it didn't go far but it kept it alive for minimal use.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
There are three PowerBooks in my house and one iBook. Only one of them has a genuine Apple charger and I got it less than a year ago. So, the one you got is probably faulty.

I get my chargers here. They are $40 currently, a bit expensive, but like Macs they last forever and are good quality.

This shop has my loyalty because their chargers have never failed on me.

As to the DC-In board, it doesn't know the difference. There's no Apple chip or anything like that that locks out non-Apple chargers.

----------

45W is enough charge to trickle charge a 15" PowerBook and only barely enough for the 17" to stay running, but not charge.

The iBooks and PowerBooks do not have any kind of smart technology. It's just a barrell plug.

Over time charging systems will start to degrade because they are not receiving sufficient charge. So, if you use a 45W charger on a 65W system only do it for a short while.

Additionally, you cannot start a 65W system with a 45W charger. A 65W charge however, can be used for a 45W system. It will step down to the correct voltage. I use a 65W charger for my daughter's iBook G4.

I don't think you can insert the wrong kind of Magsafe adapter into the wrong system. I think by the time Apple went to Magsafe all the models were operating using the same wattage.

Not to slit hairs or turn this thread into an electricity course, but I'm almost positive that all iBooks/Powerbooks(or at least all the ones we talk about on here) use the same charging voltage. The wattage of the power supply indirectly refers to how much current(amps) the brick is able to supply. Wattage-at least for DC systems-is the voltage times the current.

Using a charger with a higher wattage rating is never a problem, as the computer will only draw as much current as it needs to charge. This is true of both the old barrel PPC chargers and the current Magsafe chargers(I have a couple of 85w Magsafe chargers in my rotation, despite the fact that all my Magsafe computers call for 65w chargers).

There's some communication between modern chargers and computers, and in general using a charger with a lower rating than specified for the computer will not harm either-the computer will simply adjust to use what is available. With that said, as noted, you can sometimes run into issues with the charger simply not being able to supply enough power for the computer. In a pinch, I've used a 45w charger with my DLSD Powerbook, however it really will only charge if the computer is asleep. It maintains with the computer being used normally, and the battery drains if I really bang on the computer. I'd only carry 65W chargers with me if it weren't for the fact that it's not possible to use an Apple brand 65W charger with a TiBook.

I'll also comment that at my work, we have(personally owned) MBPs and MBAs in circulation. The Airs specify 45w chargers, the 13" Pros(and Macbooks) specify 65W, and the 15 and 17" call for 85W. From my experience with trading around chargers, going down one size from the one specified for your computer will allow it to maintain charge, while the battery will generally drain(albeit slowly) when going two sizes down. This is in use-when asleep or off, any size charger will charge any size laptop.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

Well. My Macbook Air uses 45W, my Macbook 65W and my Macbook Pro 85W - all with the same Magsafe connector.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well. My Macbook Air uses 45W, my Macbook 65W and my Macbook Pro 85W - all with the same Magsafe connector.
OK, thanks. I have never owned a MacBook (Pro or otherwise) and I have never used a Magsafe connector so I didn't know. I was guessing.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Have you ever owned any Intel Mac at all?
No, I have not. I've had a PowerBook since late 2001. It died in November 2009 and was replaced with a 17" PowerBook. I've kept that PowerBook going to the point where the only parts remaining that I bought in 2009 is the top case, bottom case and a few internal components.

The logicboard on that Mac has since been replaced twice. Other than that Mac, which I've really stopped using in favor of my Quicksilver, I really do not use any other Macs at home.

My wife has a 12" PowerBook G4, my daughter an iBook G4 (14") and my son a 15" Titanium DVI. There's an iMac G3 tray loader and a 20" iMac G5 in the house too. But we do not own an Intel Mac.

Work is different. The G5 died about two years ago and was replaced with a Mac Pro. So, I use that at work, but it's not mine. I replaced the logicboard on the G5 though and brought it back to work so my coworker could have a faster Mac (she was using one of our G4s).

The Mac Pro though is the ONLY Intel Mac in the shop. Everything else is a G4/G5 or a PC.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
No, I have not. I've had a PowerBook since late 2001. It died in November 2009 and was replaced with a 17" PowerBook. I've kept that PowerBook going to the point where the only parts remaining that I bought in 2009 is the top case, bottom case and a few internal components.

The logicboard on that Mac has since been replaced twice. Other than that Mac, which I've really stopped using in favor of my Quicksilver, I really do not use any other Macs at home.

My wife has a 12" PowerBook G4, my daughter an iBook G4 (14") and my son a 15" Titanium DVI. There's an iMac G3 tray loader and a 20" iMac G5 in the house too. But we do not own an Intel Mac.

Work is different. The G5 died about two years ago and was replaced with a Mac Pro. So, I use that at work, but it's not mine. I replaced the logicboard on the G5 though and brought it back to work so my coworker could have a faster Mac (she was using one of our G4s).

The Mac Pro though is the ONLY Intel Mac in the shop. Everything else is a G4/G5 or a PC.

Wow... heh you are quite unique and unusual.

Related, we have never owned a Windows PC. Never at all. :p

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Wow... heh you are quite unique and unusual.
LOL!

Let's just say that PowerPC Macs have been the only affordable Macs in my price range. It's only very recently that the older Intel Macs have started to come into that range.

As to PC ownership, I've had a TRS-80, a Vic-20, C-64, C-128, 286 AT, 486, AMD 586 and a Pentium MMX. I converted to Mac in 2003.

The PCs I own now I don't really know what processors they have, but one is a 1.0Ghz I think.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Let's just say that PowerPC Macs have been the only affordable Macs in my price range. It's only very recently that the older Intel Macs have started to come into that range.

Good... Most people buy the newest and greatest for the highest price, when all they really need is a 2006 Mac for 1/100th the cost! :p Also, reusing old Macs reduces waste :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.