Got myself in a wireless mess :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Scylax, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Scylax macrumors regular

I was trying to set up my wireless printer (HP) with my Lion MacBook Air (2011). And I've got myself into a mess on two fronts:

1) In order to set up the bonjour printer, I need the updated Lion drivers. To get them, I have to have the printer connected, and add it to the printer system preferences, when it should automatically download them. But I can only connect the printer via wifi since I have no ethernet. So to do that I can't be connected to the internet at the same time. So I can't download the drivers because I'm connected to the printer, and I can't download the drivers when I'm not. Is there any way around this, short of buying an adapter, just for the first-time set-up? I have visited HP's website, and there seems to be no other way to get the drivers. It's an Officejet Pro Wireless 8500 all-in-one Print, Scan and Fax.

2) This is a related issue. Trying to set up the printer, I had the 'bright' idea to try setting up a new network to see whether I could connect to the printer locally while still being able to download the software online. Since I only wanted to try it out, and decided that I would delete it afterwards, I accepted the default settings and decided (yes I'm an idiot) that I wouldn't set up a security password. So I set it up and connected to it from the menu-bar, but couldn't get the printer to work, so disconnected. Then I went back to system preferences to try to delete my new network. Trouble is, it is not appearing in the list there. So I looked in the menu bar again, and the network name is no longer showing there either. So somewhere on my mac I now have an totally unsecured network I can't find to delete, nor can I find any way to give it a password!

I know that I have been a total idiot in this matter, but can some kind person please save me from my folly and tell me how to either delete or secure my new network, and whether I can get my printer to work?

Thanks!

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Can you connect to the printer through a USB cable? That way you can be online and connected to the printer at the same time.

Also, click on the Wi-Fi icon on the right side of your menu bar. Then click "Open Network Preferences" and click on Advanced. You should see a list of saved networks and be able to remove it from there. If you don't see it there, then it isn't saved and you shouldn't worry about it.

3. Scylax thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I'm not certain I even have a USB connection for it, but I will try that, thank you.

Any ideas on my network faux-pax?

4. KPOM macrumors G5

I edited my original response above regarding the network.

5. Scylax thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! Much appreciated! It's not there, so I guess for some reason it didn't save at all. I don't understand it, but as long as I've not compromised my security, that's what matters most. Thanks for so much quick help!

6. KPOM macrumors G5

Any time. :) HP's documentation isn't the greatest in the industry. I spent an hour trying to set up wireless printing on my mother's printer earlier this month before I realized that it didn't actually support wireless (just Ethernet). Apparently they use the same model number on 2 similar models, one of which has wireless, and one of which doesn't.