Price Advice Got new 2012 13".... did I make the right decision?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Synergie, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Synergie macrumors 6502a

I migrated my stuff from the 2009 to the 2012 and then carbon copy cloned the new hard drive back on to the hard drive that was in my 2009. Reason is that I had upgraded the 2009 HD to a Momentous XT hybrid drive... so even though its smaller than the one in the 2012 (500 vs 750 Gb) it's MUCH faster being a 7200 RPM vice 5400 RPM and with the addition of the flash memory as well. SO I basically gave up 250 Gb of space for faster boot and app loading speed. (as a note I only had roughly 100 Gb filled out of the 500 Gb so I am not in need of space) WOuld you have done the same??

Now I have a 2009 13" 2.53 GHz (the more expensive one) upgraded with 8 Gb RAM and now has the 750 Gb HDD in it from the 2012. OS X Lion installed... how much should I sell it for? (It has 1 purely cosmetic dent in the side of the display in the aluminum but the screen is totally fine)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What matters is what works best for you, despite what may work best for others.
    As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge. Then adjust your price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

3. Slivortal macrumors 6502

I personally feel that the MBAs are a much better option than the 13" MBPs, given that the difference between a ULV and regular i5 isn't extraordinary, an SSD over a 7200RPM is somewhat noticeable, you get a better screen, and lighter weight/footprint.

But that's just my opinion.

4. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like being able to upgrade things myself.... aka RAM and hard drive down the road... If I need more space right now, I can always upgrade to a bigger drive. Kind impossible on an Air and same with RAM... what you buy you are stuck with on an Air. Also, unlike a lot of others... I actually use the optical drive. I burn a lot of 'files' to dvd - read between the lines - :) and then take those 'files' to work to watch on the computers there which are hooked up to a big screen (work in a 24 hr ops centre... and yes we are allowed to watch movies)

I don't really relish the idea of an external optical drive. Pro works best for me... was just hoping the 500 Gb 7200 RPM Momentous XT vice the included 750 Gb 5400 RPM was a good trade off.

5. Rockoar macrumors regular

Rockoar

Me too but the MBA is really expensive when compared to the MPB. I mean, for the same price you'll get stuck (literally) with only ~120 GB of usable space, and no matter how fast the SSD is, it still is a really little amount for nowadays standards. Plus, with the MPB you can upgrade both the hard drive and the RAM for a lot cheaper than what Apple charges you because whenever buying from them you are paying for the product and a pretty expensive premium price as well.

6. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly... I used a Seagate hybrid drive (Momentus XT) and generic RAM when I upgraded them... and installed myself in about 20 mins (after cloning the hdd, I mean the actual swapping out of both the RAM and HDD took a total of about 30 mins tops and that was mostly taking the teeny screws out lol) Cant do that with an Air.

7. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal