Got New iMac, have a few questions...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 2000camaross, Feb 6, 2012.

1. 2000camaross macrumors newbie

Ok I'm still trying to get everything figured out... first off, do I just leave the pc on all the time or should i shut it off at night, and if so is there someway to turn it on other than the power button on the back of the screen? Second of all is there any way to have the screen automatically zoomed in every time i open a page in safari so I don't have to zoom in every time? last of all, when i open a webpage and go to scroll down, I have to slide my finger up on the mouse. its "backwards" of how it is on a traditional scroll wheel mouse....

If you guys have any other info or tips that would be greatly appreciated also, thanks!

2. 184550 Guest

Personal preference. I usually shut my iMac off once a week overnight.

No.

Not that I'm aware of. There may be an extension or similar you could install.

That's normal in the Apple world. It's suppose to mimic using an iPhone or iPad.

To change it go to System Preferences/Mouse/ Uncheck at top 'Move content in the direction...'.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's fine to leave it on or sleep it. There's no need to shut down at night. Also, it's a Mac. While it's a personal computer, "PC" usually refers to a computer running Windows.
    No.
    Why do you have to zoom every time?
    Open System Preferences, go to Trackpad, and uncheck the box at the top saying 'When using gestures to scroll or navigate, move content in the direction of finger movement.'

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

4. 2000camaross thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, got the mouse figured out. How do you put the PC in sleep mode?

5. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

I'll answer some of these that i know. You can leave your mac on, but IMO, if your away from your computer and not doing anything on it put it to sleep.

Not that i know of.

Ah an easy question. Here:
    [​IMG]

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Option-Command-Eject from Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts (from the link I posted before)

7. 2000camaross thread starter macrumors newbie

And the reason I zoom in is because I have the 27" screen and i sit pretty far away from it at my desk so I zoom in so I can see everything easily, and its much nice to look at. Its getting annoying to have to hit the command/+ key every time i open a page....

8. 184550 Guest

Apple (top left corner)/ Sleep

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is a couple years old, so not sure if it still applies:

Set default zoom level in Safari using a CSS file

10. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Apple menu, Shut down.

I hope you're not routinely shutting the poor thing off with that button. That's kinda brutal on the hard disk.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read again:

12. 2000camaross thread starter macrumors newbie

13. 184550 Guest

I wouldn't waste my time, I doubt it'll work.

14. 2000camaross thread starter macrumors newbie

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You would do well to test before dismissing the suggestion. I just tried it and it works perfectly and took all of 90 seconds to accomplish.

16. 2000camaross thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i create a file using a pure text editor?

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Open TextEdit.
    Click File > New

18. 184550 Guest

What value did you use to get Safari to automatically open into full screen mode?

19. GGJstudios, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Setting the default zoom level in Safari

That wasn't the question. The question was how to set the default zoom level.
    To recap, here are the steps, using TextEdit and Safari Preferences and this article:
    Set Default Zoom 01.PNG
    Set Default Zoom 02.PNG
    Set Default Zoom 03.PNG
    Set Default Zoom 04.PNG
    Set Default Zoom 05.PNG

20. 2000camaross thread starter macrumors newbie

21. 184550 Guest

Eh, I interpreted his original query to mean that he wanted Safari to open into fullscreen mode by default.

22. 2000camaross thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyway to make the address bar and tabs bigger? Also my mail when i open it up from the dock? Thanks

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not that I know of. The user interface isn't as easy to zoom, as it involves changing the size of buttons/tabs/bars, etc.

24. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Open System Preferences and Choose Mouse. Select the box that says "Zoom using the scroll wheel by holding". This allows you to zoom in the whole computer screen. I've attached a link to a video so you can see how this works. Click here. All you do is scroll normally (to scroll on my trackpad I have to use two fingers)

25. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Check thh zoom preferences, you can put CTRL option on, then you just need to press CTRL and use your mouse "scroll" to zoom fluidly in and out. Imho much better.