Got new iMac need help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by blondee028, Nov 3, 2014.

1. blondee028, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

blondee028 macrumors member

Hello I am new here and have been trying for a while to figure out how to post a question but I finally got that part. I have a iPhone and iPad so I finally broke down and dumped my pc for a iMac . Its been about 5 months now and have been on phone with applecare several times. My question is I keep getting the spinning wheel and seems that it takes forever to load a page..Is that normal I mean two minutes..with the pc you would click and be there..I switched from safari to duck duck go but I still keep getting the wheel. I am suppose to bring it to the apple store tomorrow. I bought it refurbished maybe that was my mistake. Any opinions?? I am running yosemite. Its a 21.5'' 2.9 Ghz intel core, 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 iTB sata

2. zarf2007, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

zarf2007 macrumors regular

Tbh unless you have fusion or pure SSD drives you are limited by the speed of a mechanical hard drive and it is the thing likely to effect performance the most. However, I doubt it should be beach balling for so long even in this case....one way to rule out hardware is to backup any data you have and do a fresh OSX install, wiping out any existing OS configuration (the apple store is likely to do that). Also try chrome or firefox for browsers.

Before that you can also try Go->Utilities->Activity Monitor and see which processes are utilising the CPU/memory of the iMac, these can then be investigated further and if a rogue app is causing this it can be uninstalled.

3. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

No offense intended but if it took you "a while to figure out how to post" on here then I think your best bet is to go to the Apple Store for help. It sounds like troubleshooting and repairs might be beyond your skill level.

4. eduardrw, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014

eduardrw macrumors 6502

How much space is left on you iMac's hard disk? If its less than 15% of total capacity you found the problem.

My PC friends who converted to MAC's had to be taught not to mess around with settings they did not understand.
    MAC's just work.

On PC's you had to be messing around - its very hard to unlearn that behavior.

My advice: Clean install - load your data and stop messing around

5. blondee028 thread starter macrumors member

Apple finally got around to it

It wasn't my computer after all..It was apple so anyone having issues with the slow safari Apple just sent a update to fix it..I just updated mine and finally Safari works and so does mail..now its remembering junk again and it also plays videos finally..I was beginning to think I should have bought a pc

6. sharon22 macrumors regular

Ouch.:(

7. sharon22, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014

sharon22 macrumors regular

There's a thing I do from time to time that really speeds up Safari (a real noticeable difference) and that is when you are running Safari, go up to the word 'Safari' in the upper left hand corner of your screen, and then down to "Reset Safari," and that clears lots of the junk out. I do that about once a week.

Safari tends to "keep track" of lots of your browsing history, and in the beginning, this really speeds things up, making things lightening fast. But after time (a week, or a month, or several months, depending on how heavily you web surf), all of the information that Safari is saving to speed things up will actually begin to "bog stuff down."

Here is a really rough analogy (the timings are all wrong, but it will give you an idea what I'm trying to say):

Let's say it takes a FULL second for Safari to download a photo from the web. After you download it, Safari will "store it on your computer" just in case you need it again. If you go on the web to locate that photo again, Safari will be like "oh here, I have it right here," and display it in one HALF of a second, because it saved the photo "locally" on the computer.

After time, Safari will have saved not just 10 or 20 or 100 photos and documents, but THOUSANDS of documents and photos. So when you go on the web and it takes one full second, Safari still tries to find that photo "locally" on your computer, but since there are now thousands of photos to sift through, it might actually take TEN seconds to find it (hence the spinning beach ball).

So, as you see, in the beginning, all these things that Safari saves for you will help speed things up. But then there comes a point where it gets bogged down.

That's why "resetting Safari" from time to time is good.

[edited about 15 minutes later...] I just thought of something that may be PERFECT for you. There is a program I use all the time called "Onyx" (Since it runs deep in the System, you'd want to make sure to download it from the developer http://www.titanium.free.fr for more security) It will "deep clean" your system. When I use it, I checkmark *everything*.

I know there are a lot of people who say that such "deep cleaning" is not necessary on a Mac, etc., and truth-be-told, that may or may not be correct. I don't know... BUT, in your case, because you mentioned that it wasn't your computer, so when you got it, it could have been heavily mucked around with, it might do it some good to "deep clean" it, at least ONCE. However, as with all "deep cleaning" software, be SURE to do a backup on your disk, first, because it is possible things could go wrong.

8. blondee028 thread starter macrumors member

reset??

I am running yosemite no rest button under safari It gives you the option to clear data but I don't want passwords removed