got new internal hard drive for my macbook, problems installing os 10.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kathleen bailey, Oct 16, 2009.

1. kathleen bailey macrumors newbie

Bear with me please - but I need advice. I posted this on the Macbook forum and am thinking perhaps I should have posted on this forum. After a trip to the Genius bar today and finding out that I needed a new hard drive - I went to Best Buy and got a Sata 2.5 500 GB hard drive. I came home and carefully installed it ( static care) and then tried to install ( using the original discs ) my OS. It seemed to be doing okay but then when it came to choosing a destination - nothing, the screen just sat there. No messages - nothing, just that same screen asking me to choose a destination - there is nothing to choose. I have gone online and researched and am not sure, but am I supposed to format this and partition it ? And is this something over my head or if I carefully follow instructions - can I do this? Should I make another trip to the Genius Bar - ugh.
    This is what I have been reading:
    http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...ing_tiger.html

thank you for time and attention - I am really frustrated - bad enough losing some programs and some things I didn't want to lose but now ? I am lost.

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

The link in your message is broken, so I couldn't check it out. You need to boot from the OS X CD/DVD and then go to the Utility menu and select Disk Utility, from there you should be able to select your new hard drive and format it and install the OS. Is that how you were trying to do it?

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999