got new macbook today

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IUBall22, Jan 27, 2008.

1. IUBall22 macrumors 6502

what are the two disks for that come with the macbook? is there anything on them that i need to install?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

they're for reinstallation purposes. there is nothing you need to install when you get your laptop.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

^ he's right, but i'd recommend reinstalling the os and removing extra languages/printers/ibloat if you want to recover extra drive space.

4. jinpak macrumors newbie

Hey i bought a macbook couple weeks ago and want to reinstall os to save some space but will everything i have so far be erased? And how much space will i save?

5. sowillo14 macrumors regular

You have to back up any data/apps that you want to save. It should save a couple gigs (minus languages,print drivers) I always trash the iwork, and quicken trials as well.

6. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

And the first CD also has the Apple HW test in case you need to use it. If you do, just boot your machine up and hold the letter "D" before the gray screen comes up.

7. ivan1234 macrumors regular

congrats on your new purchase. I have a related question as well: is there an option to not install unneccessary things when reinstall the OS? (such as garageband,etc.? ) thanks in advance!

8. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

yes, During the install you will see a CUSTOMIZE in the lower left. click on that and you can choose what to install.

9. The Menacer macrumors member

Actually, instead of reinstalling, buy a program called "Macaroni." It will delete all extra language files, as well as daily, weekly, and monthly cleanups.. of the UNIX core. It keeps your computer nice and speedy, and it's only $8.99. A very useful tool that runs in the background. I've used it for years.

www.atomicbird.com/macaroni

10. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Nope hang on to them though you might need them if something nasty happens. Welcome and do the time machine thing its way easy...

cheers!