got new MBP and LED 24'' display and noticed....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bchamorro, Feb 25, 2009.

1. bchamorro macrumors regular

that it works great, but the fans work more when in clamshell mode.

I was converting songs to AAC on iTunes and the fans started making more noise when in clamshell mode. I lifted off the screen and it is silent.

just letting you know...

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Yea I noticed this as well. I guess when you leave your notebook opened it lets more air out and have a much better air flow thus lowering the chance of using higher rpm fans.

I still keep my mbp in clamshell mode on top of my mstand. It just looks better. :p

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes the air vents are obstructed more when you use the computer in clamshell mode; when the same volume of air have to move through a smaller space, it will be moving faster therefore generates more sonic noise.

4. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

You don't think it has something to do with the fact it's driving that bigass display?? Especially if you're on the 9400m, driving an external display is taxing on the components even in clamshell mode. ;)

5. semitry macrumors member

Can the internal display be shut off without clamshell mode and still powering an external display?

6. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Yes, just attach your keyboard, mouse, monitor etc.
    Close the computer and let the sleep light begin breathing. Hit any key on your external keyboard and it should go into clamshell mode with the second monitor as main. Just open the lid and the built-in screen will remain black.

7. a4abt macrumors regular

x2 that how I run my MBP with an external monitor connected