Got new MBP, selling old iMac, Best Way to Backup??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by megamouse, Sep 12, 2008.

1. megamouse macrumors member

Hi, just got a new MBP and thinking to sell my 2 year old iMac.

I would like to backup all my files in the old iMac and then format the HDD and reinstall Leopard on it.

I would like to use the backup dmg as a bootable image for future use, if possible.

I can think of three ways:

1. Start up my iMac, connect my USB external HDD (I don't have a firewire one), run Disk Utility, under Restore, copy iMac's HDD to the external one;

2. Start up my iMac with MBP's Leopard DVD, run Disk Utility from top menu. under Restore, copy iMac's HDD to to the external one;

3. Connect iMac to MBP, start up my iMac into Target Disk Mode. Run Disk Utility on MBP, under Restore, copy iMac's HDD to to the external one.

1 is the simplest way, i think. Option 2 could be safer. Option 3 is the most complicated one, and I want a bootable backup. Which one should I use??

Thank you.

2. ghking macrumors regular

ghking

SuperDuper will clone your whole drive for you onto an external drive that you can boot from
    and its free

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Super Duper clones the entire hard drive, so all the applications, Libraries and other System files will be copied too. And that takes usually longer than a normal copy, the capable read and write speeds will not be reached.

Option three only functions if you use a firewire cable.

Option one seems to be a good one, except you need all files outside of your User folder. Every setting of yours, Applications, mail, bookmarks, ...., are saved under /users/you/Library, so copying your user folder might be more than enough.

Or Super Duper.

4. megamouse thread starter macrumors member

ah, I see, thanks guys.

I came across carbon copy cloner, but not sure the images are bootable.

Will use Super Duper now, thank you :D