Resolved Got "official" AT&T unlock but device won't unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TB07-NJ, Jun 12, 2014.

1. TB07-NJ, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014

TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Got the official "we've unlocked your iPhone" email, please wait 24hrs from AT&T. It's now been 72 hours and I have backed up and restored multiple times but my T-Mobile sim still won't work (works in another unlocked iPhone so it isn't the sim).

I've done the unlock with the AT&T sim inserted as well as the T-Mobile sim but always get the "invalid sim" message. Tried it on both a PC & a Macbook.

DO I need to request a second unlock from AT&T or is there another way to do the backup and restore that might trigger the unlock?

2. BeeJee macrumors 6502

When you restored the phone did you get the "Congratulations, your iPhone is now unlocked." screen in iTunes?

3. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

No, which is one of the reasons I know it isn't unlocked ALTHOUGH from what I have been reading you don't always get that message. :)

4. BeeJee macrumors 6502

You should have definitely gotten that message unless I'm missing something. I have unlocked my maximum allowed 5 phones this year and every time had the message appear.

5. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Very weird but I found the problem.

I just contacted ATT and they said the IMEI I gave them to unlock was totally different than what my phone is. Not even close. They had to screw something up on their end because it could only have been one of 2 iPhones and it wasn't even close to either of them. I have to resubmit with the "proper" IMEI.

6. jlsm511 macrumors 6502

jlsm511

Someone messed up entering your IMEI maybe? At least you found out the problem so you can fix it.

7. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Glad you found out the problem. Whenever I have to give someone a series of numbers like my CC number if I'm paying for something over the phone, I make sure they repeat the numbers back to me so I know that its correct.