got one! 13 inch retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sno1man, Oct 24, 2012.

1. sno1man macrumors regular

Picked it up just a bit ago.

Still going through initial configuration and loading apps but a few impressions.

1. This thing is light but feels bulletproof. No flex or squeaks or pops when handling it.

2. The screen on this blows away any on the air or the regular 13 pro. We have multiple airs including two of the most recent and they aren't even close in overall image quality.

3. The only reason I see to get this machine over the air is the screen (and you pay dearly for it).

4. No IR but then again our two 15 inch ones did not show it until they had been in use for a couple of months. Don't know the screen type yet since the command didn't seem to work and I haven't had time to go back and try again

5. SSD is a samsung and is quite fast, seems to be noticeably improved over the airs

2. alyshehata macrumors member

How about the UI lag? is it still existent mildly like in the 15", or is it worse or disappeared?

3. slumpey326 macrumors 6502

what version did you get exactly, please post specs

4. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

What are the specs of the one you got? Would you mind doing a quick Geekbench test on it? I'm waiting on mine arriving tomorrow or Friday, but I'd like to know a bit more now. :eek:

5. sno1man thread starter macrumors regular

Not seeing any but then again I didn't really with the 15s unless i deliberately did something I would not normally do (like scrolling the screen back and forth as fast as I could move the mouse).

comes preloaded with 10.8.2 by the way

6. b.tuszkiewicz macrumors member

7. iPersian macrumors regular

please check the screen for IR and ghosting issue and please let us know who has built the screen if its samsung or lg

8. tadziak macrumors regular

I find that still the easiest way to see Image Retention is:

1. Switch desktop to Dark Grey, switch off screen saver, sleep etc.
    2. Open up the Google main page, resize screen to maximum and leave it for 15 minutes.
    3. CMD+H and check the desktop for any Retention visible, usually the top bar is most visible after hiding the browser.

Would you be so kind to try it?

9. sno1man thread starter macrumors regular

I actually did what I did to see it on our two 15 inch retinas which was to open itunes, mail and safari in three different windows leave them open for 30 minutes and then go to dashboard (which has a gray background for the various widgets). With the 15 inch retinas you could see ghosts of the windows on dashboards gray background. On the 13 so far no ghosts.

I won't be able to do anything else with the machine until later this evening due to being stuck in meetings.

When I get back to it, I plan to figure out who makes the screen and also use blackmagic to test the disk

PS>Specs are the base 13, 2.5 GHZ I5, 128GB SSD

10. sno1man thread starter macrumors regular

for the "pics or it didn't happen crowd"

one pic when we opened the box attached

Attached Files:

11. Maczor macrumors regular

Congrats man! Enjoy your purchase and definitely keep us up to date! ;)

12. b.tuszkiewicz macrumors member

Looks nice. Ordering one tomorrow (2.9 GHz/256 GB)

13. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

Awesome, glad some people are actually starting to appreciate the 13 rMBP....please tell us if there is any UI lag, screen ghosting, ect!
    Glad you like it, because I am planning on getting one too!:D

14. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I like the 13" rMBP but its so overpriced.

I love my 15" rMBP however.

15. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

Would you mind posting a pic. with the highest scaling enabled? Thanks!

16. shznit macrumors member

And give us an idea of UI and browser (chrome please) performance? the 15" I played with a few weeks ago lagged pretty badly.