Got one! (Thanks!!)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hjb, Mar 23, 2011.

1. hjb macrumors newbie

First, I was confused about iPad2 vs. 11 inch air. I read a lot of advice on this message board, then headed to the store and determined that I was not physically comfortable on the small (but full powered) machine.

Then, I decided to go for the iPad2, but (of course), couldn't find one, read every tip, loved the crazy links to the inventory systems at the big box retailers, tried to use those links and found them to be completely unrelated to in-store reality.

Finally, I just stopped in every time I was near an Apple Store (3 - with no luck), Target (3 - no luck), two smaller local stores (where I really hoped I would buy), and today, Best Buy. Here's what happened.

I asked the salesperson if there were any in stock, expecting my 9th "no" answer. Instead, he said, "yes, but." I figured "but" would be the show-stopper. He told me that they only had the 64GB Verizon black in stock. I was disappointed. Then, he stopped me on my way out of the store and told me he had made a mistake--that they were AT&T models. I said, "I'll buy one now," and sure enough, there were nine more in stock!

For a brief moment, I wondered whether I ought to buy one for resale, but that would take all of the fun out of it for someone else.

Be patient. These devices are available, but you've got to be persistent. I couldn't imagine showing up at a mall at 7 in the morning, but driving a few miles out of the way on my way home from work to visit a Best Buy, no problem. I bought mine at about 5PM. I don't think they had just been unpacked--I think they were in stock for at least a day. But I had to ask--and I got lucky with a salesperson who was really helpful.

Hang in. I'm a long-time Mac guy and iPhone user, but an iPad newcomer. After just a few hours, apart from the goofy fingerprint problem (which I'll solve with a skin), I like the iPad2 very much.

2. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Lucky! MY BB had only 64GB VZW's in stock. I really want the 64GB AT&T.

3. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

That's funny, it's the exact opposite for me. My BB only had 64 GB AT&T, but I want the 64GB VZW.

4. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Few things first. Great for you for not scalping an iPad for another needing member who wants an AT&T model. Secondly, glad you got your chit.