Got out of my Verizon Contract -- no termination fee!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MBHockey, Jun 5, 2007.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

So, I just found out my 2 year contract with Verizon expires in December of 2007 -- not June 19th, 2007 like i had previously thought.

I have been set on the iPhone for about 3 months, knowing I would get it when my contract expired, no problems, no questions asked. The news that my contract expired in December really took me back, since my current phone is in such bad condition i don't even think it'd make it another 6 months.

So, I did some digging. In less than 12 hours, i had my contract terminated early -- without the $175 charge (or ANY fee whatsoever).

Here's what I found:

http://www.ucan.org/blog/telecommun...reless_customers_chance_to_cancel_contract_wi

So i checked my bills (downloaded PDFs from Verizon Wireless.com).

January, February, and March all showed the administrative charge for 40 cents per month. In April, it shot up to 70 cents....May was also 70 cents. My April bill was dated 4/26/2007. This left me well within the 60 day window to cancel my account.

So, armed with all my bills and the Customer Agreement i signed, i called verizon.

The first lady was very, very nice. She acknowledged Verizon's breach of contract immediately. Now, because i'm only moving *my* phone number over (which is one out of three on a family share plan), she had to get the OK from her supervisor.

She called me back saying her Supervisor would not allow this. A little back and forth, and the Supervisor said that unfortunately, i had been notified in January -- putting me outside the 60 day window to cancel. I explained calmly that I was sure he was mistaken, since I had the PDF of each bill open in front of me, and it was definitely 40 cents in January.

I think he was surprised I had it open, and then said that it'd be okay. They are canceling my verizon contract at the end of the billing cycle...just in time for me to take my old number to AT&T and pick up an iPhone :)

So, yes....this method DOES work. Just be polite and calm because this reason for canceling is 100% legitimate as long as you are within your 60 day window.

2. sportsfanMAW macrumors regular

can you tell me where abouts on the bill the administrative charge is? Because i'm currently looking at mine and i don't see it...

but of course i may just be blind :D

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

What the supervisor likely meant by "notified" is that they sometimes drop a half sheet of paper in your bill explaining the charge, of course hoping that everyone forgets about it. But good work Sherlock. Sounds like a great option for everyone with Verizon.

4. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

On the PDF i downloaded off Verizonwireless.com, it appears on the 5th page of each bill, under the heading Charges, and sub-heading Verizon Wireless' Surcharges.

5. sportsfanMAW macrumors regular

AWESOME FIND! I really hope i can convince my parents to switch to at&t becuase they were on the fence and if i can get out without an early termination fee would be awesome! :D

6. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Good luck...I'd like to hear how you make out.

7. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

wonderful! as an at&t stock holder, i love seeing you all switching and make my stock go up!

8. carobot55 macrumors newbie

No ETF with Regulatory Charge increase?

I missed out on calling Verizon about this increase in the Administrative Charge, but after printing out my bills I did notice that they raised their Regulatory Charge back in December from $.04 to $.07. I know it's miniscule, but the principle is the same: they increased their surcharges, and their contract states: "If the changes have a material adverse affect on you, however, you can end the affected service, without any early termination fee, just by calling us within 60 days after we send notice of the charge."

I was recently told by someone at a Verizon store that I could get someone to take over my plan. When I called Verizon to do this, they said they'd just changed their policies because of too many people jumping ship for the iPhone. I really want out and am tired of being with a company that's constantly changing their policies. Should I still try to get out with this small surcharge increase?

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Just be sure to start your ATT contract and get your phone number moved over, before the Verizon contract ends.

Otherwise they can give your number away.

10. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

No, that's incorrect. And that's a good way to automatically get charged the $175 fee.

Once you end your Verizon contract, you have (by law) 30 days to port your number to a new carrier. In my case, my contract ended and then about 25 days later I got the iPhone and ported my number with no problem.

11. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I got away from Verizon and ported ALL numbers over to Cellular including my landline. ( home phone )

Verizon sent me a letter saying I should carefully reconsider my decision and to call them if they had any questions.

I called them and said " You want the list of what you did right, or what you did wrong that caused me to leave Verizon? Be advised the list of what you did right is shorter, because there is NOTHING on it. "

I hate Verizon due to their well documented lies and breaking of promises!!!!

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Ah, thanks, that seems right. But...

Got a cite for the 30 days? I can't find anything on that topic.

13. harcosparky macrumors 68020

The thirty day issue may only apply when you TERMINATE your contract.

If you contract expires through maturity, that is to say you honored the contract for the entire period your service and number continues under the same rate plan without obligation, In other words you can leave at any time.

We did not leave Verizon until about 4 months after our contract had ended.

14. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey