Got Preamp-Now What?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by lockjawdavis, Aug 8, 2008.

1. lockjawdavis macrumors newbie

Total newbie here. Just picked up an M Audio DMP3 preamp based on some suggestions on this board. It comes with pretty slim directions and seems to suggest that I also need to purchase a sound card. I was under the impression I could run the pre-amp right into the audio line in jack on the back of my brand new iMac desktop. Will this work or do I have to now also get a sound card? :confused:

2. hakukani macrumors regular

The dmp3 is a mic to line level preamp. You could go from the line out of the dmp3 to the line in of your Mac, but I recommend that you trade your dmp3 for a mic to firewire preamp/interface.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes it will work. You will want to experiment a bit with levels so you get the best signal level into the Mac without overdriving the input.

The line-in and A-D convertors in the Mac are OK, not fabulous quality - they'll work fine for practicing, and for casual recording. At some point if you are recording with the intention of releasing the results professionally, you may want to look at higher quality USB or Firewire audio interfaces.

Suggest reading through the sticky posts at the top of this forum and hitting the library or magazine stand for reading up on concepts and technique.

4. lockjawdavis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. I'm mostly planning on recording demos with the intention of finishing them in a studio later. I'm hoping to be using Garageband as more of a sketchbook than anything else, so I just need something that's fairly listenable for other musicians to reference. Thanks again.

5. lockjawdavis thread starter macrumors newbie

I just saw Hakukani's post and now wonder if I am better off dumping the DMP3 for a firewire based unit? What are the advantages of the firewire unit over the DMP3? I saw many posters rave about the DMP3 for its quality/price.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you're talking apples and oranges. what you've got is only an amp; any firewire unit is probably going to be an interface, which will add analog->digital and digital->analog converters, plus a monitoring section, and offer its own mic and line ins.

this would serve as your "sound card" and be an all-in-one box. what you've got now is only one piece of the puzzle.

7. lockjawdavis thread starter macrumors newbie

Gotcha. I thought the DMP3 would be all I needed to start some basic recording. Looks like I goofed. I appreciate the info. It's a new world for me

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

9. lockjawdavis thread starter macrumors newbie

I've gone through most of them already. I apparently confused an audio interface with a preamp. No harm done (except for the dreaded 'restocking fee'). I'll send back the DMP3 and look for an interface.

10. hakukani macrumors regular

Don't feel bad. I've bought several pieces of gear that I thought served a certain purpose and found when I got it it wouldn't do what I thought.

Hope you get a great sounding interface.:D

11. lockjawdavis thread starter macrumors newbie

It does explain the utter silence I got on the M-Audio board. Oh well.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Much appreciated!