Got problem - new SSD drive doesn't work with M.Pro 13''

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AlexanderI, Jan 22, 2013.

1. AlexanderI macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I got some problems with my macbook pro ( mid 2010 ). When my factory harddrive crashed, I got my new one. Called Samsung 840 series SSD 120 GB.

Installing the harddrive into the computer was not a problem, the problem started when I was trying to format my new harddrive so I could install OS X. There was an error message saying something weird.
    Is there someone out there with information of what I could do.

I thought it could be with the Firmware version on the macbook pro motherboard. But I can't find a way to update the firmware without OS X installed.

Please help, thank you MacRumors for a great website!

2. FuriousMac macrumors newbie

FuriousMac

3. medlem macrumors newbie

I share the same problem.

My computer died, I thought it was the original HDD that broke, so I bought a SSD to put in to my Macbook pro 09/10.

Installd Lion on my Samsung 840 thru another computer. I put it in my laptop and its a map with a ? in it when i start the computer.... Nothing happens.
    The SSD works fine if I put it in a dockstation, and connect it with a USB cable. But not if i have it inside of the computer with the SATA connected to it.

If read about SATA cable problems, could that be the case? Or is it something iv done totally wrong?

Its the first time i do anything like this, so i might have done some n00b mistakes, let me know if there could be something Iv missed,

Anybody read about this problem before?

Thanx for your help!

4. FuriousMac macrumors newbie

FuriousMac

Have you a Ram upgrade ? If yes, take it off and try....
    Since 2 weeks I have a bunch of Ram problem in the shop.....

5. medlem macrumors newbie

Nope, no ram upgrade.

Have you seen this problem before?

6. FuriousMac macrumors newbie

FuriousMac

Yes and no :D
    The ? symbol means the Macbook does not find the system. I can say the system is not properly install on your hard drive.
    When you say your Hard Drive works on a dock station, do you mean you can start on it with your macbook ?
    Try to install mountain Lion on a USB Key, restart, and try to re install the system on your Hard drive, by this way you will be able to see if your MacBook "see" your SSD.
    2 months later I replaced the Sata cable on a Macbook Pro.....for the same issue than you.
    I hope, it help :) Let me know.

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Try creating a USB installer and installing directly from the machine.

Although - I've heard issues of people with 15" 2010 machines who simply couldn't get the 840/840 pro drive to work. 830 worked fine though, which led me to believe that there's a random compatibility issue between 2010 machines and the MDX controller.

Maybe it's the same for 13"

8. medlem macrumors newbie

Iv got lion in a USB stick, with that i can start the computer. It wont see the SSD still, so whats the next step?

Brian Y -
    Do you know what did the peaple did with their problem?

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

They returned it and bought a different model of SSD.

Two things you can do - try a different hard drive in the machine, to ensure it's not the SATA cable, then either update the SSDs firmware using another machine, or return it and buy one with a different controller.

10. AlexanderI thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you fixed the issue yet?

Have you solved you´re problem yet? I havn't and going to a support-store tomorrow.
    I actually installed os x 10.7.x i think on my other macbook pro 15 2013 modelyear.
    And then I tried to boot the SSD disc on my 13'' mid 2010, but it's just trying to boot up like for ever and im not getting to the " users/log-in " screen.