Got Razer Deathadder. Driver issues?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ThatGreekMacGuy, Jan 17, 2013.

1. ThatGreekMacGuy macrumors member

ThatGreekMacGuy

Hello everyone. I have the iMac listed in the signature below. I've never faced any serious problems. Two weeks ago I picked up a Razer Deathadder gaming mouse. I downloaded the latest driver which is Synapse 2.0; but like one or two days after, my iMac had all of these weird "Your Mac has restarted because of a problem" messages. It would happen once or twice every like 2 days. So two days ago I uninstalled the Razer software. No kernel panics anymore; at least for now (I will post more details if it ever happens again). Just to let you know most kernel panics occur due to hardware damage or badly-designed login items/apps. Has anyone else noticed anything similar in Mountain Lion? Also, my problem is that I really need the configuration abilities of Synapse at the same time. No other app can provide so many dpi, acceleration, polling rate, etc customization settings. Anyone had the same problem? Or I would like to re-install Synapse as long as I can quit it. You know, it opens up on start-up and stays in your menubar no matter what you want; so any advice on how to quit Synapse (so I can open it only when I need it to customize my settings) would be really useful as well. Thank you!

(Also I use this mouse on Windows 7 x64 under bootcamp and I have to say that the Windows drivers are much better. Once I tried to update the Deathadder firmware on Win7. Could this be the problem? Actually, are the firmwares stored inside the mouse or they're stored on the computer?)

2. Atisha macrumors member

Hey there, I've been browsing around/researching to find a good mouse for my Mac and saw your post. From some reviews I've read, 2013 Deathadder "doesn't work" on Mountain Lion, someone else here also said to "avoid it like the plague." It may be Synapse or just the drivers in general. I've seen recommendations to get the 3500 Black edition instead. If you are able to I'd return it or sell it and get the Black edition. I may be ordering one tomorrow, or an Imperator. Good luck.

3. ThatGreekMacGuy thread starter macrumors member

ThatGreekMacGuy

Hey I found a solution. Well, when you get your mouse install the Razer drivers. But if they crash your Mac or you have any other problems there's a new pane app called Smooth Mouse http://smoothmouse.com/ which allows you to enable mouse accelaration just like in Windows.

4. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

I fell for it and bought a Deathadder 2013 and cannot get it working under 10.6 or Windows in Bootcamp, so it is going back.

Is this the black edition you refer to and will it work under 10.6 10.7 and bootcamp without much fuss ?

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-deathadder-black/

5. Atisha macrumors member

Yeah this is it, I ordered one last week and I'm getting it in today, so I'll see how it goes. I assume it will be fine since multiple people have praised it and written in detail about it on these forums. : )

6. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Any news on the mouse ?

7. Atisha macrumors member

Hey. It came in last week. I installed the "older" drivers from Razer's site, but then I was hoping for more functionality with the buttons, then installed Synapse 2.0. Synapse works and there are no major issues. However mouse4 and mouse5 are very difficult to reliably bind to anything. I wanted one to be Option and the other Shift, this doesn't work, I think due to ML; my old Kensington trackball had the same issue. Made a thread about this but there's no real solution.

I am not returning it because the mouse is great otherwise. Ditched all the acceleration with MouseFixer (someone created here) and Synapse, and I'm surprisingly loving the no-accel. I usually have wrist issues with mice but this is okay. Very customizable dpi and so forth, and very accurate mouse. A little pricey for the lack of full customization but I expect maybe a year from now (haha) Razer will fix the issues.

By the way the macro options are limitless, and I did figure out a way to bind shift with this (not reliable though), but otherwise very cool.

8. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

I dont get all that, is the Deathadder Black plug n play same as the old Deathadder mice ?

9. Atisha macrumors member

Yeah, Synapse is not required, it's optional.

10. Washac, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013

Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Thanks, it was just that the Deathadder 2013 is meant optional or so I believed, but I had to install that Synapse spying software, and still the mouse would not work, have decided now I will probaly never buy another Razer mouse.