Got rid of the touch got an iPhone - week 37 w/1.0.2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by salilsundresh, Oct 4, 2007.

1. salilsundresh macrumors 6502

Well, I finally took the plunge yesterday and returned my iPod touch to Best Buy. Afterwards I went over the to the AT&T store and got an iPhone. I got a week 37 as per SN and it was loaded with Firmware 1.0.2. Just an FYI; from what I've been hearing it seems like week 39 may be the ones loaded with 1.1.1. Guess I got lucky.
    [​IMG]

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

3. Geffen macrumors 6502

How do you like your new iPhone? Thats an odd picture of the iPhone box into a wall like that

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I heard if you pushed the top of the box into a white wall before opening, you're more likely to get a good screen. It's called "White Walling An iPhone".... :p

5. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

all this week 37, etc etc stuff makes my eyes glaze over and reach for a stiff drink.

6. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

What's that stiff drink btw

7. ventro macrumors 6502a

8. infosprt macrumors regular

I'm curious as to how the iPhone screen compares to the iPod touch. We have both and the screen on the touch is definately better.

9. ctakim macrumors 6502

What? That is in contrast to what every review that I've read to date. It has been nearly unanimous that the touch's screen is inferior to the iPhone, even after the 1.1.1 update.:confused:

10. infosprt macrumors regular

No way. My son's week 39 touch is much better. Actually the touch kinds of makes the iPhone feel kind of clunky.

I've had 3 iPhones and the screen on this last one is not as good as the other two were.

Another area where the touch is better is in Wifi reception. The touch is much more sensitive to weak signals.

Plus, the touch doesn't get hot like the iPhone.

11. salilsundresh thread starter macrumors 6502

I've noticed the iPhone has less contrast than my touch had. I would prefer a screen with a bit less contrast than too much (which my touch had). You can alway crush blacks, but it doesn't look very good to "un-crush" them.
    Also, I can confirm that the iPhone does start to feel warm a bit faster than my touch. (esecially towards the top) And yes, the wifi is slightly better range on the touch. I was trying to connect to my neighbor's connection, with my touch I could go about 5 feet further from their house than on my iPhone.
    In the end though, 3rd party applications, calendar, mail, etc. are much more valuable to me than having to go 5 feet closer to a hotspot and having to deal with a couple degrees of extra heat in my hand.

12. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

are you planning on using the iphone like the touch? basically using all of its features besides the phone? if so then i'm in the same boat and trying to figure out if i want to return my ipod touch as well. i want to be able to use it without at&t or tomible but not sure which guide to follow, all the guides i read seem to pertain to unlocking to use on different network which i don't care to do. please update me what steps you have to take to get it all working.

thanks!

13. salilsundresh thread starter macrumors 6502

I used AppTapp which automatically jailbreaks your iPhone. Make sure you know your iPhone's exact firmware before doing it, because it's asked for. I believe you can also use a program called independence. I can't find the guide I used at the moment, but it was very simply using the GUI of those two apps mentioned.

14. acrafton macrumors 6502

My neighbor was showing me his Touch and the screen is much better than my IPhone (2nd one, first replaced due to bad screen).

15. salilsundresh thread starter macrumors 6502

In what way would you say it's better? Color? Contrast? Resolution? Brightness? Gamma?

16. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

This is an interesting debate: I too was under the impression that most people thought that the iPhone screen was superior to the iPod Touch (ignoring the 'negative black' issue).

17. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Got a week 38 iPhone from the Online store, shipped from Jonestown, PA and had firmware 1.0.2. Got lucky too :)

18. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

What day did it ship on? Mine shpped Oct 3rd from PA as well but it isn't here yet

19. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Behold, I have been to the future... and I got a week 129 iPhone -- it's even more awesome than the PS7 that I picked up while I was there -- you wouldn't believe how awesome the extra super duper screen is. :p

20. acrafton macrumors 6502

Sharper and snappier. Seems to have better depth of colors and more contrast between them.

21. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Ordered on Tues (10/2), shipped Wed (10/3), arrived Fri (10/5) :)

Check your invoice online, it will tell you the serial number

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Finally someone who is sitting here with glazed eye like me!! And as for the stiff drink, I'm with you friend...let's go.

To the OP. Did you buy the touch and figure out it wasn't capable of being a PDA, figured it out all on your own and returned to buy the PDA (iPhone)? Just curious.

23. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Ok I found it. Serial No.: (7V738RMGWH8) I think that is a week 38 so I should be good :)

eV

24. Geffen macrumors 6502

Seems week 38 was hit or miss with the screen issues, mine is a week 38 i purchaesd at an Apple retail store but my serial # has an S instead of the typical R or V that i notice everyone else has.

25. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Wait. There's a screen issue now too ? I was just referring to the firmware. Which numbers have the good screens?

eV