Got rMBP back from Genius Bar: Damaged

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nirvanaxp, Jan 5, 2013.

1. nirvanaxp macrumors newbie

I had my rMBP repaired for both screen and audio issues, and went to the apple store today to pick it back up. When I brought it home, I noticed that there is now a small dent to the lid and body in the front left corner. I always took really good care of it, and it didn't have any dents before I left it off with Apple. It seems like they dropped it during the course of the repair. Should I complain to them? They did fix the issues I had, but at the cost of creating a cosmetic one.

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Might as well notify them and ask what your options are.

But it'll be hard to prove that those dents weren't already there.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I'm sure you recall the clause in the repair agreement where you released them from liability for damaging your computer even in the event of negligence.

It is probably not defensible in court, but you did agree to it!

4. nirvanaxp thread starter macrumors newbie

I know it will be hard to show that. Do you think that by already signing the paper saying I received the computer that it already puts me in a bad position to claim there is damage? The dent is definitely noticeable, but is not huge. At the store, I should have looked more closely at the outside.

----------

Maybe I will call them and let them know. I don't want to spend even more time on fixing my MBP, but it's really annoying that they couldn't help but drop my computer.

5. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I'd just take it back and inform them that the dents were not there previously (politely, of course).

In the future, I'd definitely recommend inspecting your MacBook at the shop/pickup *before* signing the "release" paper(s).

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Wow, is there a clause like this in the US?
    That is stupid, if I bring anything in in Europe and it is damaged by them they are responsible not me!!!!

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Id just call Apple/AppleCare.
    I never heard of "This is not defensible in court" since most places will replace it for you.

Just give them a call and tell them what happened.

8. nirvanaxp thread starter macrumors newbie

On the repair summary, there is a section that states at up to 90 days after the repair, any issues caused by the repair can be handled free of charge.

9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Good job you just answered your own question!
    Id give a call either way. That makes the process even faster.

10. nirvanaxp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. It says if it "requires" further repairs, it will be free. It's a shame though since they just installed a brand new screen inside the lid which was dented.

11. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

My understanding was that they replace the whole screen assembly not just the inside part. Perhaps that's why you now have dents?

12. el-John-o macrumors 65816

It has nothing to do with laws or otherwise. However, most companies will include a release of liability in those long arduous contracts you don't read and just 'agree' to!

As the other poster said, it may not hold up in court, it may not comply with regulations and laws. However, the cost of suing Apple over something like that is well beyond the cost of repairing the cosmetic damage, even if you win. The if is a big if, we all know what Apples legal team is capable of.

I think this is just going to have to be chalked down as a 'lesson learned' situation for you in the future. Whenever I take anything in for repair, I always ask the repair person to make a notation of the condition of the item before I release it to them. So, rather than my word, it's theirs. I make THEM document any previous blemishes or wear and tear. Then, if I pick it up and there is a ding that wasn't there previously, THEY are the ones who said it wasn't there in the first place! Voila! It's not my word against them, it's them against them. I keep a record of what they noted as well. Some of them like it, because it protects them too, they get to write down that there's a scuff mark here or a shiny worn spot there.. so I can't come back and say they did it!

However, there's simply no reason not to ask. Just be polite, give them a call or go up there, and explain that you received the item, got it home, and found damage. In the future, have the person you release it to note any existing wear, and inspect the device in reference to any indicated wear before accepting it after the repairs are completed.

13. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Take it back and show them the receipt you got.

On your receipt it states the current condition, if it says "excellent" then it will be easy for you to get it fixed.

I would call Apple Care first, they will set up an appointment for you.

Apple has excellent customer support and we can't completely blame them, this was caused by an individual.

14. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The problem with that - when you pick up the machine, you sign to say that you are happy. Once you have signed this piece of paper, then you are saying "I have checked the machine, and it's OK".