Got robbed, lost MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ReyamEN, Jun 25, 2014.

1. ReyamEN macrumors newbie

We got robbed and my MacBook was one of the stuff taken, the cops asked for a serial number and I don't have it. I recently cleaned my room and thought what would I ever need the box/everything in it for? So that's all gone.
    I, however, have my MAC address, I know it might not be useful but can they find my mac using it? Somehow? Or am I desperate? We lost a lot of precious things with it and we were hoping that by finding my MacBook we will find them.
    And apparently I turned my location services off, so finding it via iCloud isn't an option.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sorry to hear your Macbook got swiped. Bastards!

Where did you buy it? If you bought it direct from Apple the serial number would be on the receipt and you can pull it up with your AppleID in the online store.

I don't know of any way to track down your Mac using the MAC address though. Not without some sort of anti-theft software running on the Mac itself.

3. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

You can see if its online at https://supportprofile.apple.com

Sorry about your loss.

4. 960design macrumors 68020

First I'm so sorry. Contact your home insurance they usually have a policy to replace stuff stolen like that.

When you get your next mac, look up preyproject.com. It will take about 5 minutes to install, it's totally free for non commercial use and then you can just forget about. If you get robbed again or if you lose it, you can rob the robber. Check out some of the recovery stories, they are pretty hilarious.

Also try putting a three wolf and moon sticker on the outside of your mac. This has successfully prevented all thefts and actually made criminals turn themselves in. Check out what the reviews say for a t-shirt, imagine what a sticker can do?! http://www.amazon.com/The-Mountain-Three-Short-Sleeve/product-reviews/B002HJ377A