Got Scammed - cannot use HardDrive? install disk override?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chris001, Jul 1, 2008.

1. chris001 macrumors regular

chris001

hey guys, so i was walking around a flea market and i pass by this guy. he is selling random electronics. i come across this 80GB internal harddrive. he said it was from an older mac or something? he wasn't sure.

and it was only $20. so i was like hey, $20 is cheap for 80gb. i could use it as an extra harddrive for my mac (external).

however, when i tried connecting it. i couldn't reformat it. i can boot it up. and it takes me to the original guys login screen. so i just try a password re-set but it doesn't work?? (with my tiger os install disks)

it's FIRMWARE LOCKED. what does that even mean? i can't even re-format it.
    any idea's?

i'm almost positive that this guy just stole the latptop and decided to part it out? or something? i went back to try to get it resolved... lets just say that went no where.

anyhelp would be great. thanks.

also, mods, i wasn't sure which category this would go under. move it if you'd like. thanks.

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Do you know someone with a PC? They could use FDISK, or Partition Magic on it.

If you take it to a Computer Shop i am sure they might have some luck with it.

4. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

I fear the if the drive was Firmware locked FDISK or Partition magic won't sort any effect on the drive. Asking around may help, maybe they have a way to recover the drive.

5. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yeah they call it "tattooing" it's locked to the hardware of the system.