got scammed need help

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ipaduser123, Feb 1, 2011.

1. ipaduser123 macrumors newbie

i sold my ipad on ebay and shipped via ups, but the buyer says he did not get the package. i didnt had signature received selected, but i have 500$ ups insurance. i am going to file claim and stuff but i want to find out are there any options?

i have the serial number, and want to find out if apple can track if he activates or uses via itunes. what do i need to tell apple about this?

it was 16gb wifi. need help and your guidance.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Apple can't do anything. Hopefully your insurance with UPS will pay you, but next time get delivery confirmation.

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I wouldn't bother calling Apple really. The iPad is lost, either in the hands of the buyer or UPS.

Next time you really need to send something as valuable as an iPad be sure to require a signature.

And there is no certainty that you got scammed, the package could just have gotten lost.

4. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

You say you get scammed? I hope the money cleared before you sent it?

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If shipped UPS then when you check the tracking number what does it say?:confused: If lost that is not a scam. It only a scam if the buyer received it and is claiming he didn't. The tracking number will tell you if UPS delivered the package or if it was lost in shipment.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unfortunately you'll probably need to chalk this up to an expensive lesson learned. Always and I mean ALWAYS use signature required and insurance for selling stuff on ebay.

Heck, I avoid ebay and just go to Craigslist because you're dealing with a face to face transaction and cash only.

The shipping company is absolved from any responsibility because there was no signature required. You have no proof it was damaged or mishandled by them so insurance is not going to help.

You may not have been scammed, in that the buyer never got it. Perhaps the package was left on the door stoop of his house and someone else scooped it up. There's no way to tell what happened.

Sorry to hear about this, though :(

7. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

if you sold it on ebay then you used paypal? If you used paypal all they care about is that the package says it was delivered on the Tracking number look up. Ive been there and done that. If it says package delivered with a date then you are off the hook and paypal will not ask for any of your money back.

so send the tracking number to paypal and be done with it.

I would not just give this guy 500 thats for sure.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You need to follow paypal's procedures to guarantee your money
    Here's the link paypal

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't see how you got scammed or how you know for sure you were scammed. UPS lost a 67 pound scanner of mine once. It was found weeks later in some random location. Call UPS, they'll put a tracer on it and from there they'll make you wait a certain amount of time before they'll pay a claim. Be sure to keep PP updated and the fact that you have tracking means a great deal, signature or not.

10. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

You didn't require a signature. At least you saved $1.50 on your shipment.

11. pricej636 macrumors 6502

I stopped selling on ebay years ago. Craigslist is so much easier. Face to face, buyer can look over the item before they agree to anything. I do a lot of buying on craigslist and have found some really good deals on some expensive stuff because someone needs rent money or something. I recently bought two pairs of Beats by Dre headphones for $150 that are brand new, would have cost over $300 at Best Buy.

Something seems fishy with this thread. Either the seller didn't send the iPad to begin with and hes trying to cover his arse, or he is trying to figure out how to scam someone else. Just my opinion of course ;)

12. elan123 macrumors 6502

This...

Paypal won't help if you don't have delivery confirmation. Sucks.

13. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Sounded too naive not to know there's such thing as a Tracking Number when you ship via UPS.

14. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

Scam

I can't count the times I have seen the tracking info say delivered and there is no package at my door. I then scour the neighborhood looking for my package. They have been left at different houses and different streets. The drivers are so rushed that they don't take the time to be sure of the address.

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Apple could but will not do anything. Hundreds of iPads are stolen or lost every day!

File a claim with UPS AND eBay! You will likely get your money back but it will take a while.

16. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

PayPal will take the money out of your account and hold it till this is resolved. You need to read the fine print when you joined PayPal and they have the ability to REMOVE money from your account to cover a claim till it is settled.:eek:

17. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

I guess I'm the opposite. I've had over 100 deliveries and I've received every single one.

18. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The bottom line is you pay the extra few bucks and force them to get a signature. It is worth every penny. I have never had a problem with UPS when a signature was required and I have sold over 500 items on eBay.

19. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Well I don't get this post at all. The first thing anyone would do is look up the tracking number and it would say--well whatever happened--in transit, at such and such--or delivered--and what the driver did with it when it was delivered. Why would you not do that first?:confused:

I'm sure the signature is a good idea but it seems hardly any companies do that--they just let the driver leave it on your doorstep regardless of how much it costs.

20. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I learned the lesson the hard way when I sold my 3GS. Guy said he never received it, even though the tracking number said he had. I contacted eBay, and they told me they weren't responsible because there was no signature required.

You can try to escalate the problem, but unfortunately (for me at least) that was a dead-end road.

21. Cagle macrumors regular

lol. he should have installed find my ipad on it

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

He probably did, until he prepped it for sale, i.e., wiping it. :)

23. patp Guest

:d:d:d:d

24. navajarunner macrumors regular

navajarunner

That sounds like a sucky situation to be in. Hope we can all learn from this.

25. Gryzor, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

Gryzor macrumors 6502

No signature, no proof of delivery. Simple as that, and the OP made a stupid mistake. If you pay to have a signature at the other and the driver just leaves it, that's the delivery companies issue and they would have to compensate. Lesson learned? Maybe.

Besides...how does the scam affect you? You sold your iPad so I take it like any normal person, you had the money in your account before shipping? If not, that was a really stupid mistake. If you have the money, what do you care if he claims he didn't receive it?