Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCard^

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2013
Gotscrewed: What model did you buy and for how much?

StunnedMonkey: There'd be no way for you to verify they infact used the corp email account. If you were going to force that, you might as well just use a global generic corp email account. The only advantage to use your own appleid would be to be able to access your already paid apps. I suppose there is the tracking aspect that people might dislike their corp having access to.

Why do you guys not use a unified account?

Stunned Monkey

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
Gotscrewed:Why do you guys not use a unified account?

When we started rolling phones out there wasn't any particular need for that, and allowing them to use their own accounts gave them access to previous purchases as well as ability to buy whatever they wanted in the future and still have access to it on their other devices. A unified account was discussed but seemed like a bigger problem...at the time.

That was then, this is now.

I understand the reason behind activation lock, but it's definitely not (as is the case with lots of Apple things) corporate friendly.

marvin4653

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
My dear friend, I dont get your "confusion" the poster gave the serial number to me on my craigslist inquiry, he even sent me a screen shot which shows the Apple care Status... Naturally I called Apple Customer Service and ran the number by them to check if its clean and the person said it is...

Prior to purchase it "wasnt" in my "possesion" so I could call Apple Care and ask all i wanted, but now that I have it in my "possesion" and fear that it might be stolen... is it a good idea for me to physically walk in to an apple store with a potentially stolen good and wait for some "genius" to call the cops on me or something?

Like I said I have a clean and spotless record, good corporate job etc and everything, is it a good idea to do even go to an Apple Store?
If you suspect the computer was stolen and want to aid in the investigation of a possible crime, report it to the police, just like you would under any other circumstances when you suspect criminal activity is afoot. Apple is not a law enforcement agency. There is no special law enforcement protocol for potentially stolen Retina MacBook Pros.

If you don't suspect that you received the computer as a result of criminal activity (or don't care), then make an appointment at the Genius Bar to request a reset of the EFI password per this support article:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3554

Just out of curiosity, what model MacBook Pro is this and how much (approximately is fine) did you pay?

Last edited:

Stunned Monkey

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
If you don't suspect that you received the computer as a result of criminal activity (or don't care), then make an appointment at the Genius Bar to request a reset of the EFI password per this support article:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3554

This would be my suggestion to the OP. There really isn't anything to suggest that it is stolen beyond the circumstantial situation of the EFI password. I understand why people might suspect such a thing based on all of the circumstances, but that's hardly (in my book) a reason to call the police.

I'd take it to the Genius Bar and be truthful about everything with regards to how I obtained the laptop. If they raise concerns, then OK, go with it. If they simply address the technical issue without alarm then that'd be enough for me.

Again, beyond simple paranoia about why there is a password on it, there is nothing that suggests that this device is stolen.

ZmyDust

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2011
This same thing happened to me, and after a few hours of swearing and researching, I realized the password was actually just a click of the enter key. Can't hurt to try.

Montymitch

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
This might be a silly question, but is the serial number on the machine the same as the serial number from the screen shot? A shady seller might try to dupe you with a diversion like that.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
@GotScrewed,.......Did you go to the Apple Store yet? Did you get this resolved?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.