Got so many errors when transferring Time Machine to a new drive

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Gary King, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Gary King macrumors 6502

I tried transferring my Time Machine volume to a new drive using the instructions provided by Apple, where it requires that I drag-and-drop via the Finder, but I got a ton of errors. At least a dozen at the same time. I don't recall them all, but some were quite strange. I have transferred a Time Machine drive once before, and it took 24 hours, but there were no errors.

There were a lot of "This operation could not be completed." errors. I think the codes were along the lines of -50 and -8300. I also noticed one particularly strange error, saying something like "The version of iWorks used to create this document is older."

What do these all mean, and what can I do to fix them? I already ran "Repair disk" on both the source and destination volumes, with no errors.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't really know, but the only thing I can think of to ask is that is it formatted properly as in steps 3 and 4 of the URL you are following?

3. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, definitely formatted properly. I've formatted quite a few external drives to Mac formats, and this one is done the same. I followed the instructions step-by-step just to be careful.

4. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Are you missing any files now?

Why not just start over and just create a clean backup to the new TC?

5. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay so I used Disk Utility to copy TM to the new drive, and although it took longer than it would have taken through the Finder, it still worked. Success!