Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
Ok, like I said I finally have some cash to spend but I still want to be practicle.

I am deffinatley interested in a macbook because I need the mobility that the 13" screen will give me since I will use it out of the house almost everyday.

Now my main question is what should I do for a desktop? I really feel like an imac is what I need, but for some reason im just not sure about how I feel about the overall look of it. I know that sounds kind of silly and everyone seems to love them, but im really drawn to those 20" apple cinemas. Then the problem that comes into play is I really dont have the space for a mac pro nor do I need all of that power. I really need like a 128mb graphics card in a mac mini and I would be set with that and a 20" and a lower priced macbook. But now im stuck because they only have the integrated 64mb graphics. And I would like to play some command and conquor when it comes out.

What do you guys suggest I do? I currently have a 15" 1.67ghz powerbook so I guess just keeping that and getting an external is an option, but then I lose the portability that I would get from the 13" macbook and I wolnt be able to use boot camp since its an older model.

Let me know your ideas.

Thanks.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
I guess it depends on how much money you actually have.

Lots = get a MacBook and a 24" iMac with 7600GT.

Not lots = get a MacBook and a 20" iMac with 256Mb 1600XT.

I expect the MacBook could play games like C&C, just not at the highest settings. Depends on what kind of experience you want, as opposed to the mere ability to run something in the first place.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
I would get the Macbook, and a nice external display. Use them together until the Mini gets updated, and then get a new Mini and hook it up to the display. Ta-da!

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
I would get the Macbook, and a nice external display. Use them together until the Mini gets updated, and then get a new Mini and hook it up to the display. Ta-da!

WOW, that sounds like a great idea... I think I may just do that.. I guess I would kind of be relying on apple to come out with a better graphics card in the minis eventually. But unless I hear any better Ideas that prolly what ill do.. thanks a lot. :)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
There is no graphics card in the Mini, nor in the Macbook.
They are both integrated grfx boxes.

If you really plan on game playing, don't bother with an integrated graphics box, as you're likely to be disappointed sooner rather than later when the next great game comes out. Get yourself a Mac with a decent GPU.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
There is no graphics card in the Mini, nor in the Macbook.
They are both integrated grfx boxes.

If you really plan on game playing, don't bother with an integrated graphics box, as you're likely to be disappointed sooner rather than later when the next great game comes out. Get yourself a Mac with a decent GPU.

o god.. thats just difficult to do if I dont feel right with either a macpro or an imac.. I really need like a 128mb graphics card in the macbook and id be set.. now all I have to do is call steve :p

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
well I have a 15" powerbook right now and I think that going down to the macbook would really help a lot even though it sounds like a small difference. b/c I carry my laptop with me everyday.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I'm curious, what advantages do you see in the MB over the MBP?

Besides a very slight reduction in weight (less than 1/2 a pound)?

I mean.. that's the size of a burger. :)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
That depends on how you define "cumbersome".

The MBP is thinner.
The MBP is wider (larger screen), but only by less than 1.5".
The MBP is deeper (again, larger screen) by .7".

But it is heavier.. I don't know what kind of math I was doing earlier, but the MBP is a 1.5LBS heavier. OK, it's a BIG burger.

But anyway.. IMO, the more "cumbersome" MBP is vastly superior to the MB (again, IMO), and if I had the $ I wouldn't saddle myself with the entry level model to reduce by 1.5LBS. Unless something medical required it.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
It seems to me that if you have a 1.67 GHz PowerBook, there's not a whole lot of reason to switch to a MacBook unless you really need the portability of the 13" display (or need to run Windows for whatever reason). At any rate, I'd agree with the user who suggested that you just get a display to hook up to your notebook until Apple upgrades the Mini's graphics system.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Again.. why would Apple "upgrade" the Mini's graphics? As the most entry level model that Apple has, you really don't think they're going to do anything better than a slightly better integrated video, do you? :)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The MacBook's casing is more durable than the MacBook Pro. However, if I had the money for a 24" iMac, I would just go ahead and purchase a Mac Pro.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
well, I guess ive narrowed it down to either a macbook pro with a 20" apple display or a macbook and a 20" imac.

macman2790

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Texas
i'd go with a macbook and a 24" imac if i were you. the macbook pro and imac perform about the same, and you wouldn't need the display for screen real estate considering that you'd have a 2' imac. I'd rather have 2 computers unless you want to do some command and conquer in class or on the road, get the macbook pro with 20" display. I personally would wait on the display because new ones might come out at mwsf and that will drop the price of the current ones and you'd probably be able to get the 23", that's what i'm waiting for, unless the new displays totally amaze me. But as always if you need it now get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.