Got the 15''...... freezing trouble PARANOIA (Portal2)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MeroLIVE, Apr 21, 2011.

1. MeroLIVE macrumors newbie

Just got the 15'' 2.2 8gigs ram 500@7200 with the antiglare screen (incredible screen..... thank god I haven't bought the glossy ones).

Yesterday I've tested the GPU with PORTAL2.
    Was just a very very very brief test on the bed before sleeping and with a cover (lol, not the best conditions to test).

The game run smooth with all the settings to the max, incredible, I was used to console games and was a lot time I haven't played on a pc/mac.

After just a couple of minutes I closed the game and went back to the video I was watching in streaming from megavideo.

When I played the video the mac almost freeze.... I was still able to ear the sound but the monitor was freezed (the mouse cursor was moving but no responding).... after 15 seconds everything went back to normality but with the GPU temperature to over 80 degrees, and was just a 2 minutes test.

OK, I was in the worst condition possible.... on the bed, with the plastic cover on... but I m really worried.

seems that the 1.6.7 haven't solved the problem yet; is apple saying something about this? are they planning to release some new update?

While I was playing it looked than the fans didn't started to work when they had to do..... but later on.... maybe this is why the gpu was so hot.
    Is there a program than let you manage the fan control so you can set them to the max while playing games? Is this dangerous for the machine?

I hope the APPLE CARE works worldwide... I bought the mac in the US and now I'm in Italy

2. far4477 macrumors member

It does. I hope you will find someone who speaks good english though.

3. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Did you buy the game or did u pirate it?

SMCFanControl is a program to manually control the speed of the fans

4. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Try reapplying the 10.6.7 combo update.

Why would that matter....

5. MeroLIVE thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it on STEAM digital delivery.
    SMCFanControl is a dangerous program to deal with?
    Is possible to encounter some risky stuff for the macbook?

6. MeroLIVE thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL don't know if you was "joking" my english (I know... not very good :D) but funny in both way... I'm Italian and I can tell you 100% no one will speak good english in Italian apple stores
    Great.... I was wondering if the CARE is worldwide or not.
    So I will have plenty time to TEST the mac (cause I haven't got any REAL freeze yet) and maybe wait any official updates to fix the issues.

Is possible to extend the Apple Care after have bought the mac?

7. far4477 macrumors member

your english is very good;)
    it is not possible to extend apple care. 3 years max :(

8. MeroLIVE thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx... no I haven't bought the apple care, just the STANDARD 1 year warranty....

just wanna know if is possible to buy apple care after the purchase.

I'm googlin around and I see the problem I had yesterday was the REAL freeze.....
    still sound playing and mouse moving with no response.....
    damn....after just 2 minutes of PORTAL.... and is not CRYSIS....

I don't wanna return it....
    :(
    It's a real pain in the +--

but what the Hell is the problem? the Sandy Bridge?
    still have to test really in better condition but is unaccettable.... people buying a 8g ram and a 1g gpu is obviously the work with HEAVY LOAD... is not just fancy to have this stuff

9. far4477 macrumors member

Yeah you can buy apple care after... before your 1 year warranty expire i suggest you buy it.

I dont know what the problem might be, many people with 2011 MBP report overheating problems.... i think you need to bring it to the apple store :(

10. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

If he pirated it, it might be a Windows version in a wrapper(Wine) and that causes higher CPU and GPU usage. And sometimes when the game is closed, the wrapper doesnt and causes the CPU and GPU to go crazy.

And i was just curious too.

11. mape2k macrumors regular

Try to run the game again for a longer period of time (~15min) on a desk and see if the problem persists.

Having a laptop on the cover of a bed is not exactly the suitable place...my girlfriend ones destroyed a ThinkPad by doing that...

12. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

SMCFanControl is not dangerous.

13. MeroLIVE thread starter macrumors newbie

damn.... I hope yesterday I was drunk and noticed some anomalous behaviour :D

14. MeroLIVE thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah I will try today or at least tomorrow the test on a STANDARD place.
    I was watching a video before sleeping in bed and STEAM noticed me that the download was finished and I tried briefly the game since I haven't tried the GPU.

I hope was just a swapping small freeze (since after 15 secs everything went back to normality)

15. MeroLIVE thread starter macrumors newbie

But when I close the app the FANS start to work normally by their own right?

16. mape2k macrumors regular

I don't think having the MacBook overheat while on the bed covers with a plastic wrapping and playing a recent game is so anomalous...

17. MeroLIVE thread starter macrumors newbie

lol.... in effect you're right... but I was jus ARRIVED to the bed

18. mape2k macrumors regular

I guess even 1 minute without proper cooling and having CPU loads of nearly 100% are enough to cause trouble. I don't know how much CPU load is caused by Portal 2 exactly but the Source engine is pretty good optimized for multiple cores.

19. MeroLIVE thread starter macrumors newbie

I think everything playing under OSX will be a little more painful than a WINDOWS.... specially STEAM wich is almost brand new on the OSX...

let's see... I will tell you if was the REAL freeze or just a mistake (hope)

20. nufanec macrumors regular

Can I just check the details here:
    - The game played fine then you quit.
    - You played a flash video and it froze.

To be honest it sounds like a problem with the way Flash offloads video to the GPU. In my experience it doesn't do it very well and can often cause symptoms as you have described. GPU temps of 80° are not unusual, and to be honest not that high. It doesn't sound heat related to me. It was when you started watching the video again.

21. MeroLIVE thread starter macrumors newbie

mmmm maybe...should I start using chrome instead of safari?

22. nufanec macrumors regular

Chrome does run a separate version of the Flash plugin, and does a better job of keeping it up to date. At this stage, however it probably won't make that much of a difference.

23. MeroLIVE thread starter macrumors newbie

but do you thing this is a serious deal or a common thing????
    .... I don't get your point

24. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Yep!