got the 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thesweeps, Aug 3, 2010.

1. thesweeps macrumors member

so I finally made the switch from pc, and let me say..very impressed with macs os, i know its more expensive but after using it only for a few hours im just blown away by the os system

anyway of course as a new user i have some questions and i hope i can get some help here..ive tried to download handbrake on the website and when i download it, it opens up and never asked me to install it or anything just opens the program..is this normal? it did same with image2icon..so do these automatically install when you download them if so why cant i find them in my applications folder? seems easy but just confused lol

also and tell me if im stupid..how do i know if i have a 32 bit or 64? whats the difference?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

1) os x apps are typically distributed as .dmg . Safari will automatically mount these 'dmg' images so you can inspect the contents. From there, there will probably be an installer application or just a single file the developer will clearly mark, and you'll just drag this into the applications folder that's viewable on the left hand side. If you don't know what i'm talking about, just click anywhere on your desktop that isn't an icon and press "command + n" to open a new finder window, then look on the left for "Applications".

2) 64 bit status depends on the system used. Currently, Apple has all macbook pro set to 32-bit by default. You can boot into 64-bit by holding down the "6" and "4" key while your machine is starting up.

3. thesweeps thread starter macrumors member