Got the Air 2 and 1st impressions!!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Billy95Tech, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Billy95Tech, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015

Billy95Tech Suspended

Alright guys I got the IPad Air 2 64gb/grey and I think I have definitely made the right decision getting the Air 2 over the Tab S2 9.7.

My 1st impressions are great, it is very lightweight and very portable for a full sized tablet(9/10 inch) and at 6.1m is ridiculously very thin and it is super fast/smooth while loading and switching between apps/games thanks to the very powerful A8x chip and 2GB of RAM and wifi is super fast and the retina display is beautiful/excellent and the battery life is great based on my 1st day of use and I think the 9.7 inch size is the perfect size for a tablet and the 4:3 aspect ratio is way better for a tablet then wide screen format(16:9, 16/10) for things like web browsing, playing games, reading, productivity/content creation and much much more and the wide screen format(16:9, 16/10 is only good for watching videos/movies and not sooo good for anything else so yeah I really like the 4:3 aspect ratio for tablets! :)

And regarding the speakers when I have the volume from about halfway and upwards the speaker vibrates while watching videos, playing games more personally I don't find it annoying at all, I think it is good and brings some bass and the sound quality is great but at the same time I always use my headphones instead of the speakers anyway and I know lots of people are having the speaker vibrating on there IPad Air 2 I think it is due to the insane thinness of the Air 2.

And the con that I found so far on the Air 2 is the Google Chrome app(with 4/6 tabs open) have crashed on me randomly for no reason. :(

Anyway i am going to upgrade the IOS(8) to IOS 9 today and try out the new multitasking features like split view!

I'm sooo glad that I not waited for the Air 3 and got the Air 2 and it is way better then my other tablets(Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and 11.6 inch Windows 8 tablet Acer Iconia W700 i5 Core) and I am still going to use my other tablets but not as much now as IPad Air 2 will be my main tablet now!!

Looking forward to using my new tablet(iPad Air 2) for many years to come!! :) :) :D :D

Might even do a review of the Air 2 in the future as well!
    Now I am a iPad user!!

Wrote this thread on my iPad Air 2. :)

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Congrats! It only took an entire thread to convince you. LOL

As for Chrome, I've heavily relied on Chrome for a long time on all of my devices but I didn't like the hit to battery life on my 11" MBA so I switch all of my devices and computers over to Opera.

With iOS9 for "leisure" surfing, I use Safari with adblock support. (Opera for everything else) Terrific. Make sure to post over in the Accessories sub-forum when you get some cases for it.

3. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

@billy install Silentium or adblocker which is free and you will have with Safari a faster web experience even compared with PC browsers. Prepare to abandon your PC for most of your tasks.

4. Billy95Tech thread starter Suspended

Already have over a year ago and it is AWESOME!! :D

Replaced/ditched my laptop(never owned a desktop) with tablets and now it will be even more easier with the IPad Air 2 and I will never go back to using a laptop, desktop like ever!

Tablets(including mobile OS tablets iPads and Android tablet)are the future that's for sure!!!! :)

5. jev425 macrumors 6502

jev425

Do you know of one that you can make exceptions for certain sites? I am using a free blocking now and on certain sites, specifically nfl.com it blocks out certain articles

6. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

Silentium has a whitelist but its not free. Try this and see if it has exceptions too.... its free.
    https://appsto.re/gr/xAr89.i

7. RebornProphet Suspended

Enjoy your Air 2 mate. Split View is great but for me it's not worth giving up the sheer speed and responsiveness of the Air 2 iOS 8.4.1, it certainly loses some of its "zip" on iOS 9.

8. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Sorry to hear that. iOS 9 is faster and more responsive on my Air 2 than 8.4.1. That's a shock to me because Apple's track record with me is that every iOS update results in a reduction in performance.

9. RebornProphet, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015

RebornProphet Suspended

Not getting into a debate again over the iOS 8 v iOS 9, it's been done to death.

All I'll say is that the pinch to home gesture isn't as responsive and that's just for starters. On iOS 8.4.1 I can open an app, pinch to home, tap another app, pinch to home and its rapid.

Now is that real word everyday use? No.

Does it show up how responsive the OS and the screen is? Yes. It's not as responsive doing the above on iOS 9 as it is on iOS 8.4.1.

And the zoom in/out transitions when opening and closing apps just aren't as smooth. They're about 80% there.

10. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

As long as you limit your experience to just that, YOUR experience then it is fine. But when a personal anecdote masquerades as a "fact" then that becomes a problem.

11. RebornProphet Suspended

As I've said many times, it's what people find acceptable to them.

I have a level of smoothness I tolerate from iOS and once an update moves a device beyond that tolerance I notice it. It's been that way since my iPhone 3G.

12. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

?????...All three of my iOS 9 devices are blisteringly smooth and fast.

13. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

Had my Air 2 for three days now after upgrading from an iPad 3. I gotta say I love this thing. Definitely snappier than my old one. The battery is about the same but so much lighter. Even got matching Gymle book cases for my iPad and iPhone. I was hoping for an Air 3 this year but with the deal Staples had, I couldn't pass it up. Looking forward to getting a good 4 productive years out of this thing

14. scupking macrumors 6502a

iOS 9 has been so much better then iOS 8 on my air 2. No more wifi issues and everything is faster with better battery life.

15. deany macrumors 68030

deany

is the ipad air 2 v ipad air well worth the extra £80? I guess you did some due diligence.

What were your main reasons for going for the '2'?

cheers

16. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

BillyS95Tech
    You made a bad decision...Samsung Tab S2 had a best screen with more pixels than iPad Air 2. Tab S2 screen is so amazing you will think you are watching 4K movie.

18. deany macrumors 68030

deany

I think you are rather tactless saying someone has made a 'bad decision'.

Are you like that in everyday life? Hope not.

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Regardless of the screen quality, you still have to suffer through Android.

20. fm_carv macrumors member

fm_carv

on the fence here about buying an Air 2 since its already an 1 year old device.

was awaiting for the Air 3 but since it hasn't been released don't know what to do.

advice please!

21. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

You can't worry about whats around the corner. air 2 to me is the best tablet out right now even if it's a year old. You will love it.

22. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Not everyone goes all goo goo for 4k. To be honest with you, it gives me a headache if I stare at it too long. I also prefer LCD screens to AMOLED screens in terms of color saturation. I bought a 1k computer only to return it because I preferred my old $500 laptop. Sure, not everyone is like me. However, some people may be.

To say something is better than something else, it's subjective. It's an opinion. No matter if you're spec chasing or not: What makes one person happy, well it might not be so appealing to someone else. So just go for what you like and let others do the same.

P.S Just got my Air 2 a few days ago, I love it.

23. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

You don't mention what you currently have (if anything) or what you would do with an Air 2 so that will affect the advice you are given.

Although the Air 2 is "a year old" it easily handles all that iOS 9 can dish out. Given that the iPad Mini 4 was upgraded to just-a-hair less than the Air 2 it is a good indication that the Air 2 will be a solid device for the foreseeable future.

The "no Air 3 this year" threw quite a few for a loop. They've drawn a similar conclusion that it is already on borrowed time. But Apple appears to be readjusting the iPad cycle from annual to every 2 years.

There was a "sweet spot" a few weeks ago between the announcing of the iPad Pro and the end of the 3rd quarter (last week in Sept) to buy an Air 2. That window is closed. There will most likely not be another window of opportunity like this one. It is possible that there will be some sales on the Air 2 during Black Friday this year, but if last year is any indication, the sale won't be anywhere near the deals available a few weeks ago.

24. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

You are absolutely correct....

...if all that one does is count pixels or use their tablet as a portable HD display. But if a person is more concerned about what they DO with those pixels then the Air 2 is device that is better suited to the task. The Tab S2 may be a beast of a device, but it is hampered by Samsung bloatware and in my opinion deficiencies in the design of the Android OS.

I have a GTab Pro 8.4. A great little device. Out of the box, it is a decently performing tablet. But it is only after rooting it (which voids the warranty) and freezing the bloatware that the hardware starts to show what it can do.

Not only that, it is not financially prudent to buy any Samsung tablet so soon after it is released. Since Samsung is always a few months from releasing a new tablet, their current ones are regularly discounted... by a significant amount.

25. fm_carv macrumors member

fm_carv

sorry forgot to say i have the original iPad Air.

really want to be able to use the split view function and touch ID