Got the new TV yesterday

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
I bought the new TV yesterday and I have to say that I'm loving it.

At the moment, I'm using it primarily as a Netflix box and streaming what ever I have on my iPhone via Airplay. HD Netflix looks good enough on a 52" LCD while sitting across the room but it does have its issues. Other than that, I'm enjoying the experience.

I do want to stream my iTunes collection from my iMac but I'll wait until I have the hard drive space available and after I digitize my DVD collection. I'm just waiting on hard drive prices to drop and for Thunderbolt enclosures to become available/affordable.

There is one thing I want to ask the community about the TV. I want to create a separate Apple ID for it but also be able to use my iPhone as a remote. The way it was set up, it doesn't seem that it's possible. So do I really need to have the same Apple ID for the TV if I want to use my iPhone as a remote?

big samm

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2008
Just bought mine today also... I already have 2 of them (2nd gen) but wanted 1080p !

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I just tried it and you have to sign into iTunes and use Home Sharing with the Apple ID you want to use as a remote. You also have to turn on Home Sharing on the Apple TV and sign in with the same ID. If a remote is all you want, this should work. I have a bunch of things tied to one ID in iTunes so I use that across the devices and it works very well.

Last edited:

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
Just ordered mine from Best Buy. Had some gift cards. Should get here next week. Very exited. Just digitized my DVD collection. Might have to buy a bigger hd though, didn't think I'd see the day I filled my 1 TB!

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
Just bought mine today also... I already have 2 of them (2nd gen) but wanted 1080p !

I was actually holding out until it shipped with 1080p and I'm glad I did. I think that I'll be getting many years of service with the TV.

----------

I just tried it and you have to sign into iTunes and use Home Sharing with the Apple ID you want to use as a remote. You also have to turn on Home Sharing on the Apple TV and sign in with the same ID. If a remote is all you want, this should work. I have a bunch of things tied to one ID in iTunes so I use that across the devices and it works very well.

Well it looks like there's no way around it for now.

The reason why I want to use a different Apple ID is that I want to truly keep the TV separate from my main Apple account because I don't want other people making purchases and rentals without my knowledge.

----------

Just ordered mine from Best Buy. Had some gift cards. Should get here next week. Very exited. Just digitized my DVD collection. Might have to buy a bigger hd though, didn't think I'd see the day I filled my 1 TB!

Nice, I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do.

Question, why didn't you just go to a Best Buy store? Also, did you really digitize your DVD collection using your iBook?

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
Q

Question, why didn't you just go to a Best Buy store? Also, did you really digitize your DVD collection using your iBook?
No, that would be painful. I have a Windows 7 Desktop that I built almost 2 years ago. It does a pretty good job of Rip & Encode.