Got the Otterbox Defender

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by missygal, Aug 22, 2010.

1. missygal Guest

missygal

Just went to Best Buy and got a red Defender. Its so bulky, not sure if I'm keeping it or not.

Here are some pics of phone in it, didnt take pics of holster...
    DSCN1895.JPG

DSCN1896.JPG

DSCN1897.JPG

I did leave my screen protector on that I had. I was going to actually get the Commuter but they didnt have any left...

2. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Are you saying best buy does actually sell the commuter?

3. missygal thread starter Guest

missygal

The guy there said he HAD yellow ones but was out at the moment.

4. afederis macrumors newbie

Aren't the commuters only out in black? I think if the guy said yellow he mustve been talking about the yellow defender.

5. missygal thread starter Guest

missygal

Who knows...probably!

6. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Otterbox defenders are the tackiest looking cases made.

7. missygal thread starter Guest

missygal

I totally agree with you. Didn't realize how freaking bulky they are.

8. falconeight Guest

falconeight

That case looks like crap. Although it does protect the phone. I would rather just not own a nice phone than put it into something like that.

9. donfishinghocke macrumors member

if you sell it ill take it for cheap :p

10. missygal thread starter Guest

missygal

Sorry I'm taking it back since I just bought it I can get my money back.:)

11. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

12. falconeight Guest

falconeight

13. Sgt93 macrumors 6502a

Sgt93

Some of us have jobs where we need to have it protected. I hate not being able to see it as the phone is gorgeous. My job would not allow a good looking case without a possible catastrophe

14. dagomike macrumors 65816

This applies to any case. If you're against any case, the most rugged case on the market is obviously not going to be appealing.

The Defender is what it is, but I wouldn't call it cheap. It seems pretty well made with a priority of protection.

15. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

I completely agree that there are people such as yourself where their jobs require them to have this kind of case

but there are OCD/anal retentives people that use these because they are afraid they are going to dust on their phone

You put it best

----------------------------
    No this does not apply to all cases, the Defender (for the regular user) is overkill plain and simple. It makes the phone at least 4-5 times thicker. I can understand people who need this for their jobs/construction/dust/sandy conditions.

16. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

And there is something wrong with that? As I see it, it's not the dust that people are afraid of, it's the scratches that are a result of the dust that people want to avoid.

17. Raegor macrumors member

Wow so much hate... Last time I checked I paid for the phone myself so if I want to wrap it in duct tape I will.

18. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

now that's stylish :p

19. curmudgen macrumors member

Opinions will vary, and who can argue someone else's opinion? I bought a great smart phone that I use every day. I did not buy it for the way it looks.

What would be sad would be breaking the phone with a fall that could happen frequently in my job field. So I got a defender, and I enjoy it very much.

Sometimes these threads seem to be boiling down to arguing opinions.

20. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've got a Defender and like it pretty well. It certainly isn't for everyone, but for me it's a must-have.

As for being thicker, yeah it's thicker. I've seem worse though, (ie; the 3G version of the Defender) but this is reasonable. Probably doubles the overall thickness, so it's a really good thing that the iP4 is thin to begin with.

As per the comment about not carrying a nice phone if you have to protect it that much, well that's not an option for me, driver.

When they start covering truck stops and drop yards in nice velvety carpet, I'll quit trucking and go to work in a **** office.

21. missygal thread starter Guest

missygal

Ya I only posted so others could see what it looked like! IMO its too bulky but yes there are people who need/want that kind of case.:)

22. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

I hardly consider myself OCD/anal but I do have kids that treat my stuff like it was theres(so far my iphone 4 has been dropped, covered with clay, and used ina tea party with barbie (yes tea was spilled on it). Needless to say this case fits my needs perfectly, the phone is working perfectly ugly case and all. Although I will admit that I do miss the feel of the phone when it was naked, but it wouldn't last in my house as such.

23. falconeight Guest

falconeight

If you need this case for work, I wonder what you wear to protect your body?

24. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

Steel toe boots and a hard hat....seems like the Defender fits in pretty well with the attire. :rolleyes:

25. oxdtown macrumors member

I got mine today and the first thing I did was take the screen protector off I'll stick with an invisashield one the front I have got used to the feeling of it