Got the wrong carrier iPad - What to do now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aqua77002, Mar 11, 2011.

1. aqua77002 macrumors newbie

I'm a new iPad owner (at least for the moment, anyway). I was working today so my father graciously offered to stand in line at Best Buy to get an iPad 2 for me. I had written down on a piece of paper what I wanted (64 GB AT&T model in black) to make sure everything was done correctly. He got there, got in line (#18), and called me to tell me he got my iPad.

I get home around 8:00, open it up, plug it in, and go to start looking around and find out that I ended up with a VERIZON iPad, not an AT&T iPad. I call Best Buy and, of course, they're completely sold out of AT&T (despite the fact that they got a total of 300 iPad 2's, or so they said). They did have me come back in and took note of it, and told me to go ahead and play with it until my AT&T one comes in. (I double-asked on that one as I didn't want to end up with any kind of problems later)

My question is, when it comes in, what do I need to do? This one's already synced with my computer. I've had an iPhone since the 1st generation, but have never needed to return it, and want to make sure that, even if I restore it, someone else isn't going to have access to my data.

Thanks!

2. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

There is not much diferance just a carrier. Its the same plans I think. The only thing is AT&T is faster but Verizon has more coverage. I wanted AT&T iPad but they ran out, I got a Verizon iPad. I'm happy they had any carrier models left at all.

3. Vizin, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  4. aqua77002 thread starter macrumors newbie

Verizon's coverage around these parts is actually quite a bit worse than AT&T's. Regardless, I do want to switch it out.

Thanks Vizin for your response. I'll definitely set that up now so that at least I can play with the temporary iPad a little bit. I really like the iPad (this one is much more comfortable to hold, I think, than the original ones that I've played with in the store), and am looking forward to having the correct one soon (I hope!).

5. TheRekz macrumors regular

I am also somewhat similar to your situation... I wanted the ATT iPad so bad, but it sold out so I got Verizon's instead. Reason I want ATT is because I will be leaving the US next year and I want to be able to use 3G back home. But I am thinking to keep it and see maybe next year they come up with a new model and then I can just sell this one

And a question, do you think that in 2 weeks time if my local apple store has the ATT iPad, I can exchange this? I want the ATT too if possible, I got the Verizon because I was already in line for quite some time and it better worth something off

6. iserian macrumors 6502

Regardless of network reception.... makes sense.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Your Dad Rocks ... just return it for an exchange :cool: