Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Not even close...
Google play = 1.3 millions apps
Amazon = 240k apps

Amazon missing many of the big name apps, and many other apps are several version behind. Many don't work properly on Blackberry either. The comparison isn't even close.

The Amazon app store is almost as crappy as Blackberry's own app store.

The Amazon app store has apps for which the developer has given her explicit permission to distribute, and it should not contain altered versions.

There are other sources with a lot more free apps that they get from Google Play, but I don't use them. What is use occasionally is the own developer's website when the app is not in Amazon and they provide an .apk for direct download.

Last edited:

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
Phone, email, and text? What is so special about this phone in that department? Text? Lol come on now. Phone? lol come on now. Email?

Majority of phones handle these operations. Some better then others but all get the job done. People use these phrases to loosely now a days. A communication device? All phones are communication devices. Again, what am I missing with all these silly words describing blackberry?

The BB10 Hub has all of these in one place. I don't have to go back and forth between phone, email and sms app to do what i need. Everything is in one place which works great for me. I can dial, compose email or text all from one place.

One thing about Email - BB10 has by far the best email app. Iphone email app is good but with BB10 i can quickly search my 10,000+ emails and all the email attachments can be searched seperately and find those documents in no time.
With android, I had to have so many email apps - one for my gmail, one for icloud and one for my microsoft exchange account. Cloudmagic app had the option of having every email in one place on android. but all my emails are stored on their server which i didn't like. I used to spend so much time looking for that perfect email app on android.

Last edited:

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
The Amazon app store has apps for which the developer has given her explicit permission to distribute, and it should not contain altered versions.

That has nothing to do with anything I wrote though? Official apps are often older versions and many don't work properly on BB10.

The numbers are dismal and the app situation on Blackberry is terrible, that Amazon store barely changes that at all. Apps are the same problem that Amazon has with their tablets and phone, if they can't help themselves, they can hardly help Blackberry.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I'm curios about the Passport. That huge screen, large battery and physical trackpad keyboard are pluses.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
That has nothing to do with anything I wrote though? Official apps are often older versions and many don't work properly on BB10.

The numbers are dismal and the app situation on Blackberry is terrible, that Amazon store barely changes that at all. Apps are the same problem that Amazon has with their tablets and phone, if they can't help themselves, they can hardly help Blackberry.

If you only quote that, of course it will look irrelevant.

You carefully omitted the part where I told you you can get the other free apps in Google Play from other stores, although it is a gray area if they did not get explicit permission to redistribute them.

Count how many paid apps are missing then.

What you fail to object to is that some apps do not work.

Nothing of this has been a real issue for me.

And you forget that a big proportion of people have stopped downloading apps.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
If you only quote that, of course it will look irrelevant.

You carefully omitted the part where I told you you can get the other free apps in Google Play from other stores, although it is a gray area if they did not get explicit permission to redistribute them.

Your quote still made no sense, regardless of what I didn't waste space quoting. Gray area is a non-issue. It's theft, piracy or whatever you want to call it. It's downloading someones work without their permission and using it in a means that they did not authorize you to. It's not a method endorsed by Blackberry and is simply a facade to try and obfuscate the app issue.

Count how many paid apps are missing then.

3 of the top 5 paid on Google play right now are missing. Thousands more judging by that trend.

Heck, forget paid, Amazon doesn't even have instagram, snap chat or clash of clans, 3 of the biggest apps in the world right now, and they're completely free on Google play.

How about every Google app that's not available? You know, the ones like Google maps that have over a BILLION installs?

What you fail to object to is that some apps do not work.
Fail to object? I brought up the point, why would I object to my own point? Tons of apps don't work at all, or work poorly.

Nothing of this has been a real issue for me.
That's great for you, you're not everyone.

And you forget that a big proportion of people have stopped downloading apps.
What big proportion? Blackberry users have stopped downloading apps because there's hardly anything available? Blackberry users are neither a big, nor a representative population of smartphone users.

Also, you're dead wrong and making that last bit up since app stores on both iOS and Android are showing record numbers.

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Your quote still made no sense, regardless of what I didn't waste space quoting. Gray area is a non-issue. It's theft, piracy or whatever you want to call it. It's downloading someones work without their permission and using it in a means that they did not authorize you to. It's not a method endorsed by Blackberry and is simply a facade to try and obfuscate the app issue.

3 of the top 5 paid on Google play right now are missing. Thousands more judging by that trend.

Heck, forget paid, Amazon doesn't even have instagram, snap chat or clash of clans, 3 of the biggest apps in the world right now, and they're completely free on Google play.

How about every Google app that's not available? You know, the ones like Google maps that have over a BILLION installs?

Fail to object? I brought up the point, why would I object to my own point? Tons of apps don't work at all, or work poorly.

That's great for you, you're not everyone.

What big proportion? Blackberry users have stopped downloading apps because there's hardly anything available? Blackberry users are neither a big, nor a representative population of smartphone users.

Also, you're dead wrong and making that last bit up since app stores on both iOS and Android are showing record numbers.

It's not BlackBerry users who stop downloading. It's a huge proportion of all users. Read the news.

I know I am one of them, as the vast majority of the tons of stuff I have downloaded, I don't even open once.

Well, I still download some stuff when it's free for a limited time, just in case, even if I doubt I will really ever open it.

And it really annoys me all the websites that prompt you to download their app.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Got the Z30

It's not BlackBerry users who stop downloading. It's a huge proportion of all users. Read the news.

Please, I urge you to show us this "news". Also would love to hear your explanation of how App Store sales are skyrocketing, yet a "huge proportion" of users have stopped downloading apps.

Here's some actual news for you to read. http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-app-store-sales-q3-2014-2014-7

App sales up 40% from already astounding numbers the previous year. Over 4.5 billion dollars in a single quarter. And that's just Apple. So...users stopped downloading? I think not. Sounds like another attempt to hide the problem with certain platforms that lack a reasonable app ecosystem.

Last edited:

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
So many back and forth convo's here, lol.

From a Z10 user of, a couple weeks... I've found BlackBerry World to be, pretty much useless. I installed Accuweather, Bible, SuperTube, and a weather radar app. The other apps I use were preloaded.

Yes the app selection is pretty terrible. However, I installed both the Amazon Appstore and Snap (Google Play frontend) and I've got access to everything on Google Play now. For the most part, Android apps will work, but I've run into issues with Play Services. I've downloaded Dropbox, Snapchat, Instagram, Google Maps, DVR software, and a few others. Most run "OK" but a bit slow here on 10.2.1. My friend with a Z30 running a 10.3 leak has much better speeds with an improved Android runtime.

But it's no replacement for native apps, just putting a bandaid on the real problem.

The good parts about BB10 is the OS is smooth as butter, has sweet gesture based navigation, and the hub really is pretty awesome.

But in the end, I've decided to not go back to iOS (I like iOS, but Android's my first love), and keep the BlackBerry as a secondary device. I just ordered a Red HTC One M8 off Amazon to be my go to device for the next two years hopefully.

So in short, BB10 is a good OS, the hardware is nice, and the App selection is abysmal. But if you don't rely on lots of apps, the BlackBerry is still a good choice. Especially for enterprise users, and heavy communicators.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Please, I urge you to show us this "news". Also would love to hear your explanation of how App Store sales are skyrocketing, yet a "huge proportion" of users have stopped downloading apps.

Here's some actual news for you to read. http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-app-store-sales-q3-2014-2014-7

App sales up 40% from already astounding numbers the previous year. Over 4.5 billion dollars in a single quarter. And that's just Apple. So...users stopped downloading? I think not. Sounds like another attempt to hide the problem with certain platforms that lack a reasonable app ecosystem.

Look for these news yourself, I won't bother searching for them.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Look for these news yourself, I won't bother searching for them.

Because they don't exist anywhere except your own head.
Unlike the news article that I linked, clearly disproving your theory.

----------

So in short, BB10 is a good OS, the hardware is nice, and the App selection is abysmal. But if you don't rely on lots of apps, the BlackBerry is still a good choice. Especially for enterprise users, and heavy communicators.

Yup, their OS is decent (although immature and missing several features), hardware is decent quality on most phones (specs not so much though), and apps are absolutely terrible. I'm a strong believer in people choosing a phone that's right for them. I'm not a believer in trying to convince others to use a certain type of phone though, especially when the tactics involve trying to downplay or outright lie about shortcomings or advantages of their chosen platform.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.