Got Tired of Waiting for Apple Feature Updates -- Hello Installer.app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmustaf, Sep 27, 2007.

1. bmustaf macrumors regular

Carrying around an iPhone (which really has a lot of processing power, very powerful OS, and great hardware) with such scant feature set on the software side has always made me feel pretty wasteful.

Anyway, I've always hoped Apple would actually deploy useful features through updates (MMS, Flash, Games, etc, etc)...anyway, waiting has grown long in the tooth and I decided to go with Installer.app. Got tons of games and enhancement on the thing, now it actually feels I'm carrying around something in my pocket instead of just a VERY svelte and gimmicky phone+ipod.

Anyone else reaching this point?

2. Malamutt macrumors regular

Welcome to the other side of the fence.

:apple:Malamutt

3. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I haven't felt the need to yet. The iPhone does everything I need it to (except for proper syncing of notes with the ability to edit them on the Mac side).

Although, that sketch app would be nice, so I'm getting tempted...

4. aphexii macrumors 6502

i decided that if everyones phones with installed native apps makes it through this next update unscathed, i'll jump in as well.

5. cah87 macrumors regular

Muahahahaha (begin Darth VAder Voice) Welcome to the dark side my son /Vader Voice

6. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

OHHHH! Stop tempting me!! The only thing at this point keeping me from that "side of the fence" is the lack of knowledge I have on the subject! I have intentionally not read to much into the installer app. and all other hacks just so I could go on thinking that it would cause irreversible damage, such as not being able to get the future Apple updates (lame as they may have been so far) but I am leaning off that fence right now!! Maybe If I find out that I could easily do a factory restore right before every Apple update, so as to not run the risk of bricking it, then I think I would just jump off the rickety fence and install the app and say who needs and Apple update -I got it all!!

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I've jumped in and back out twice now. For me, the allure of 3rd party apps has been more about the proof of concept than the apps themselves. After installing installer, community resources, Summerboard, etc. twice now, and spending a few hours tweaking, installing, etc. both times, I ended up with so little added to the phone that it wasn't worth the time spent.

There just aren't very many compelling apps so far IMO. Installer.app is the most useful app out there, but without other good apps to install, it's like an exotic car with no gas...fun to sit in for a while.

Summerboard is similarly intriguing, but of the themes available so far, the ones I've been drawn to are so close to the original theme that it doesn't seem worth the bother. Plus I didn't like how the home screen transitions changed. I think part of the problem for me is that I've gotten so used to the phone the way it is for the past 3 months that rearranging/changing/adding icons messes with my sense of order.

Hopefully the developers will start to come up with not only more relevant apps, but enhancements for the stock apps. I get the feeling we'll never see cut n paste from Apple...if someone wrote a global cut n paste add-on, (or a tweak to allow multiple email deletion), I'd reinstall installer in a hearbeat.

8. alljunks macrumors regular

great software... all the missing software needed to the iphone !!

9. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

lol thats exactly what you can do. Read the sticky in the Apps and Development thread for detailed instructions on how to install installer, along with everything else :)

Start realizing your iPhones potential! :cool: