Got Touch Yesterday - A Couple Of Observations

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wolfpackfan, Sep 13, 2008.

1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

First, let me say, I've previously owned an iPhone 2G but gave it to my daughter because I'm stuck in a four phone Sprint contract until January and she was just moving her account to AT&T. So I'm very familiar with the iPhone. I absolutely love my new Touch. It feels so solid and I love how sleek it looks. It seems very well made IMO. So far, I can do everything on the Touch that I could do on my iPhone except phone calls and camera of course.

A couple of comments -

1) Regarding the buying experience. I bought from my local Apple store, but I was amazed that they weren't making a very big deal about any of the new iPods. I was expecting huge signs everywhere, etc. They still have the old iPod signs but did have the new iPods on display. No biggie but this was yesterday and I was just surprised they were still advertising the old iPods in the store.

2) Wow, Apple sure likes to make it interesting getting into their packaging these days. It was kind of like a puzzle trying to figure out how you opened the plastic box. I guess that's part of Apples mystique.

3) Other than that, the new Touch works pretty much like my old iPhone (except with the 2.1 changes). The volume button seems to be rather hard to press. Maybe it will loosen up with time. One thing I noticed, WiFi seems to be stronger on the Touch than it was on my old iPhone. Plus in general the Touch seems faster than my old iPhone. I haven't had any crashes yet. I've installed the Bookshelf, Tuner, Media Simplify and Files applications and all seem to be working fine. I absolutely love Media Simplify.

My plan had been to buy the Touch and use it until January, when I would buy an iPhone 3G as part of moving my Sprint account to AT&T, but I like the Touch so much, I may forgo that plan and just buy a plain old cell phone instead. I'm finding most of the places where I might use data, I have access to WiFi anyway. It's a shame the iPhone itself doesn't look as sleek and solid as the Touch.

Anyway, just some observations from a new and very pleased Touch owner.

2. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Congrats on getting your iPod, I'm still waiting for my Apple Store to get it :rolleyes:. I'm glad to see that a converted iPhone -> iPod Touch user can be satisfied, I think that shows that the Touch really is a great product that has what the average person is looking for.

Just one question, as it is one I've been very interested in: How well would you say the speaker works?

3. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

The speaker doesn't seem to be as good as the speaker in the iPhone. It's not very loud and seems rather tinny to me. But that isn't a biggie for me as I am usually plugged in using my earbuds or a small set of external speakers I have.

One thing I will mention also, the initial setup and connection to iTunes was very easy. Much easier than when using an iPhone of course. Plus syncing and backups seem very fast. I am using the Nuevasync exchange server (free and highly recommended) to sync my Google calendar with the Touch and it works perfectly.

Also, if anyone runs across any cases for the new Touch in their local Apple stores, I sure would like to hear about it. My local store (Raleigh, NC) didn't have any cases for the new Touch.

4. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

OK thanks. I don't plan on using the speaker for anything major, just if I want to have someone listen to a song or watch a video, that the sound will give a somewhat decent representation of what the song/video actually sounds like.

And as for cases, I thought I heard somewhere that it would be a couple weeks until you start seeing a lot of cases. Until that time, I would recommend the Bodyguardz, to at least eliminate the scratches.

5. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

I've put one of my old iPhone screen protectors on it. I can't get over how sleek this thing is. iPhone users have to be very envious. I am posting from the Touch right now.

6. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Although the backing of the iPhone 3G was more likely to get scratched than the one on the original iPhone, I thought the 3G was extremely slick. But now seeing the curved chrome of the Touch, if you can keep the scratches off, you might have one of the nicest looking products Apple has right now. No matter when I get my new Touch, it's not coming out of the box until my BodyGuardz arrives =]

7. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

Wow! same here. when i get mine for xmas, not opening or even touching(no pun intended) till my BG arrives.

8. seamustry macrumors member

i dont think i'd be able to control myself :)

9. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

I was at an apple store yesterday playign with the new touch and the speaker works pretty amazing. The store was loud and i was able to listen to what it was playing.