iPad Got two Air2, wifi & wifi+cell. Which one is a keeper?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheSwede, Dec 1, 2014.

1. TheSwede macrumors regular

Hey Guys,
    I have these two iPad Air 2. one is wifi and the other is wifi+cell. both in space gray and both with great displays.

I always get the cell version of a new iPad because I used to think that an iPad should be on the go and always connected as I mostly use my iPads for browsing. Now with instant hotspot being so darn easy I have a hard time deciding. I'd like to get some advice on which one to keep?

Since getting my iPhone 6+ my iPad does not leave the house. However It's always nice to have the ability to ad a sim card if that need should ever come. I have 20gb data plan with my iPhone that I can use to tether if I want.

First world problems, I know, but I still would appreciate any advice you can give me as I need to return one of them soon.

Thanks!

2. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

It's difficult to advise because it entirely depends on your situation. Seems like you could just tether if your iPad will rarely leave the house.

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

This is like asking us whether you should have chicken or steak for dinner tonight.

It sounds like the cellular option is only for "just in case" situations. So you should consider how long this iPad will be your primary tablet. If only 1-2 yrs, just get the wifi only. If for 3+ years, then get the cell model for peace of mind.

4. klo6 macrumors member

klo6

This really is a decision you need to make based on your personal usage. But if you are asking for input from others... I regret getting the Air 2 with cellular. Since I can tether from my 6+, it really seems like I just gave Apple/Verizon an extra $100 :(

5. boobie12 macrumors 6502

if you will use your iPhone to tether then just keep the wifi and save money.

6. TheSwede thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input guys, yeah, kind of silly asking for such advice but I think I have made up my mind.. the cellular is going back. I just can't motivate keeping that one when the iPad will remain at home 99% of the time..
    plus I kind of like the all metal look and feel of the wifi version.. there's just something weird about that black plastic strip for the antennas, It just doesn't look as nice as the all aluminum one..

7. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I always go with wifi. I can tether to my iPhone as needed (when jail broken) and I also have a Karma hotspot coming in January, so I'm set at that point. I am hardly ever away from wifi, but with the Karma...when I am, I'm still connected.

8. bushido Suspended

bushido

I had data on my 3 but never ever used it so i went wifi only on my air 2

9. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Personally, I would keep the LTE model, that way if you ever need to use Cellular data, you can just pop in a sim, even though you have an iPhone to tether with.

10. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

I agree with this. You can also just pop in a T-Mobile SIM card and get free data. An added advantage is the nice big GPS-enabled maps with the ipad

11. scotttnz macrumors 6502

For me it's pretty simple. Work provides my phone sim and pays the bill, although the phone belongs to me. My iPad is 95% for personal use, so I have my own sim in it, which gets used every day on my commute. It's a lot more convienient than tethering anyway.

12. TheSwede thread starter macrumors regular

well, I was planning on returning the LTE version. I put it back in the box and everything.. but I just couldn't bring myself to return It even if I don't need the LTE. I still have both iPads at home... darn It!

Maybe It's smarter to keep the LTE version.. even If I don't need It right now, who knows, I may need It in 6 months.. or not.. at least I would have the option of using a sim.

13. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

I have a cell model. But it leaves the house with me in my briefcase.

The way I see it, while I may not use it all the time, the convenience of having such capability will more than make up for the cost delta.

And with T-Mo's free allotment, I never have to pay for data.

Plus, there's the GPS chip.

14. Mike Delta macrumors 6502

Mike Delta

I had the same dilemma as you I went with the wifi model, it just does not leave my house enough to justify the cellar. If you really need the gps then by all means go with the cellar.

15. TheSwede thread starter macrumors regular

Have you missed the cellular so far?

16. Gincoma macrumors 6502

I have my iPhone for cellular purposes and my ipad is wifi only. I never needed my ipad for cellular yet and dont plan to. Most places have wifi and Im not going to spend 30 for 2 gigs and additional 10 to add to my unlimited line. Im not going to be driving down the road looking at a huge screen for gps thats whats my iphone is for.

17. stjames70 macrumors member

Cellular!

Well, you just have to use it as a cellular device, then you will see that it actually is quite convenient. I have had cellular models of every single iPad down to the iPad air, but I did not use the LTE until this last one for me. After I got a T-mobile sim, I have never went back. $20/month gives me I think 5Gb, but I never quite use that up, so the extra fee on top of my cellular bill is a non-issue for me. The convenience I get is priceless. Try it with T-mob, and see if it suits your needs. Cheapest way to go, and if T-mob works well where you are, then it is definitely worth it. (I am in Denver)

18. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

All good points. The cellular data is one of things that you don't use often but damnit, when you need it you are so glad to have it. I'd never buy an iPad again without it. I'm not an iPhone user though and never will be so that plays a role for me too.

19. TheSwede thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all for your input!
    I have just returned the cellular one. The iPad will most likely not leave my house, so I decided to go with wifi + Instant hotspot.

Hopefully It will work out for my needs and I save some $$$

//TheSwede

20. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

With iOS 8, hotspot works really well over Bluetooth. I am able to leave the hotspot function constantly active on the iPhone without much battery drain. When I want signal on iPad, I only need to connect iPad BT to iPhone, no need to touch my iPhone anymore. As a bonus, Continuity will work to forward sms and calls.

21. Kendo macrumors 68000

T-Mobile gives you 200MB for free every month. If you use the iPad for 2 years (24 months), you're basically paying $5 per month for 200MB of data. I don't consider that a big deal.

Check out my thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1818295