got water on my macbook!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by arsenal07, Jul 29, 2007.

  1. arsenal07 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2007
    #1
    my cat accidentally spilt my glass of water and some of it got onto my macbook, which was open and on. i wiped the water off and the laptop was still on and working. then suddenly the screen went black although i could still see the outlines of the windows on the screen: it was still on. i switched it off and tried turning it on again but it wouldnt turn on.
    a friend said i should tilt the laptop so the water could drip out and i did this, although i tried to turn it on several more times (which i later found out i really shouldnt have done!!)
    i'm not sure what to do now...how long should i leave it to dry? should i try turning it on again in a couple of hours?

    please help!
     
  2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

    miniConvert

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Location:
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    #2
    If I were you, I'd get the battery out, get it into a position where any water can drain out, and put it somewhere warm (not hot) so it can gently dry. Give it a day or so.

    It's quite likely you've already done some damage with your initial actions. Apple will repair it, I'm sure, but it'll cost you.
     
  3. bingefeller macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    Northern Ireland
    #3
    I'd get a hairdryer, hold it well back from the computer and blow air onto it for 5 minutes or so. If you have a hairdryer with a cool setting, that would probably be even better. Perhaps you should leave the computer for a day or so before turning it on again.
     
  4. aethelbert macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago, IL, USA
    #4
    Leave it in that position for about a week. Take the battery out, too. Leaving it on after the incident and trying to turn it back on was a mistake that could cause problems, though. Your best bet is to leave it upside down for a week. Hopefully it will be able to dry out by then. At least it was just water and not some other liquid. Water is usually not as bad.
     
  5. lamina macrumors 68000

    lamina

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2006
    Location:
    From Canada, living in Seoul
    #5
    Leave it with the lid open in a sunny window for a day or two... just not too sunny, you don't want to damage it.

    The hairdryer is a good option too. As you said, you REALLY shouldn't have tried turning it on while still wet. It's quite likely you've shorted something out.

    Keep us updated on what happens!
     
  6. arsenal07 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2007
    #6
    does anyone have an estimate as to how much repairing it would cost?
    i bought it a few months ago, does the guarantee not cover anything?
    also, how much damage would there be after what i did?
     
  7. bingefeller macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    Northern Ireland
    #7
    I doubt the guarantee would cover this as it was your own fault.
     
  8. maccam macrumors 6502a

    maccam

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2007
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #8
    Hmm... I here a lot of people do this, so I'm starting to think GOOD RIDDANCE, thats what you get for drinking water by your precious baby. SHEESH! :mad::eek:;):D
     
  9. iperson macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2007
    Location:
    Taipei, Taiwan
    #9
    I wouldn't use a hair dryer or put it in a window in the sunshine. Instead, take the battery out and put it on top of your TV for a couple of days while it's on. If you have a crt TV. Works wonders with cel phones if you get them in time and don't try to turn them on.

    I once spilt half a beer on my ibook. No exaggeration. I shut it off immediately, took the battery out, took the keyboard out, turned the keyboard upside down on a towel, and dried the stuff i could see in the computer with paper towels and q-tips. my keys got a bit dirty and I eventually had to pop them all off and clean the keyboard.

    Never had a problem with that Ibook.
     
  10. aquajet macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2005
    Location:
    VA
    #10
    When are people going to learn to keep liquids away from their equipment. :confused:

    And yes, repeatedly trying to turn it back on while it was wet was the worst possible thing you could have done. Well, besides dumping it into a bathtub full of water, I suppose. ;)

    Disconnect the power and battery, let it dry for a few days and try again. Hope for the best because the repair bill will not be cheap.
     
  11. TheMacMan17 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2007
    Location:
    AnywhereTown, Anywhere , USA, 12345
    #11
    you should llet it dry for at least a week then if it still doesn't work take it to a Apple store and see if they can fix it
     
  12. arsenal07 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2007
    #12
    hey...
    just tried turning the macbook on and it worked!! everything works perfectly...

    thanks for all the advice though.
    guess i was really lucky.
     
  13. Osarkon macrumors 68020

    Osarkon

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    Location:
    Wales
    #13
    Very, very lucky.

    I'd keep an eye on it anyway, it's entirely likely it'll conk out anytime soon.

    But for now, at least it's working once again. :)
     

Share This Page