got windows 7 ultimate working, but after few days working, now black screen

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by barbet, Jul 6, 2010.

1. barbet macrumors newbie

Jul 6, 2010

after a lot of trouble I got windows 7 ultimate working on my iMac 27" 3.06 ghz jan. 2010 (bootcamp 3.1). I used the usb stick trick (with master boot) during installation, and I got it working. So I moved on, installed some small programs. 2 days later I wanted to use my windows 'side' again, however when I start it, i only get a black screen. And even after a reset i don't even get a question to startup in safemode or something. Just a black screen. Not an intro picture (as I got at the black screens during the installation).

i tried removing atikmdag.sys but didn't work (thought it was a driver issue again, and hoped to solve it this way).

I really thought i had it working. i installed all the updates, all drivers, everything worked, but now I only get a stupid black screen. It is really frustrating.

Hope anyone could help me.

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

Sep 9, 2009
    Where the fresh snow don't go.
    Did you buy it or dl it? This could make a difference.
  3. barbet thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 6, 2010
    I'm not sure I got a burned cd from a colleague. I think i am permitted to use it under my work license, but I've no idea where he got it from. In what way does it matter? I think it is a dl version, but I'm not sure 100%. Is there a solution? oh, and startup via cd isn't possible either. I do have something to modify the NTFS partition under os x snow. So deleting, changing and adding files is possible.
  4. vistadude macrumors 65816

Jan 3, 2010
    You have to boot in safe mode, then do a system restore to a few days ago. It's like a bad driver you installed. The other issue is using a "usb trick." Can you install with a windows dvd?

5. barbet thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 6, 2010
    fixed it, turned out that a program on the mac side allowing ntfs disks to be used on mac osx turned off the ability of this disk to be a startup disk

lot's of trouble to find it!

thanx for all the support