iPad Got wrong iPad as a gift :( return ideas?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rhino89, Nov 1, 2013.

1. rhino89 macrumors regular

Got a gift the other day from elderly relatives visiting out of state - they thought they would get me a "new ipad" (I have an ipad 2 right now), but looks like they didn't realize the ipad air goes on sale November 1... So I got an ipad 4 here. Now, I don't have the heart to ask for a gift receipt, or even ask what store they went to. Since it's brand new and shrink wrapped, I don't want to to "sell it on ebay" and not get a full value for it. Anyone know if stores like Walmart will give you store credit for it, even though I'm not sure if they even bought it there?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ungrateful. I'll keep the ipad 4 if no store will take it, but I just thought I'd see if anyone ran into a similar no-receipt-no-idea-what-store situation. :confused:

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

If they bought it at an Apple store, you shouldn't need a receipt. They look up the serial.

3. jomirrivera macrumors 6502

you can go to walmart, they will give you the money on a walmart gift card and since the carry the ipad you can purchase the new one from them!

4. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Just ask them what store, just in case you need to take it in for repairs. My guess is they will not find that to be a strange question.

5. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Tell them that you want to sign up for Apple Care to protect your device and you need the receipt to take to the Apple Store.

Since they're not very technically savvy, it seems, since they bought this right before the new one came out, the next time they see you with an iPad they'll assume it was the one they bought you.

6. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

Problem solved :)

7. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Is there really a need to be so dodgy about it? They made an innocent mistake and unless they are unbearable people they will be happy to help you get the one you would prefer.

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Some people would feel offended that you EXCHANGED their gift. Some would not. Only the OP knows which these folks are.

I like the idea of getting AppleCare - or even so you can register it.

By the way, I wanted a new Ipad for Christmas. Did not get it. Mentioned it this summer and wife bought me one for birthday in August. I had to tell her to return it, knowing what was coming. Really glad I waited.

9. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Indeed, there are small minded people who thinks someone is unappreciative for wanting an exchange, even when the reasons are beyond good.

10. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Very true and if OP knows they are trouble don't tell them and use one of the tricks provided but people tend to underestimate people's capacity for understanding. Give them some credit if you have no reason to doubt them. It's not showing them much respect to try to trick them into giving you what you need.

I feel its worth giving an Apple store a call and asking if they'd let you do a simple trade in.