Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Replaced 16gig from apple today, the new one has serial of 7S026 and NO problems so far

old one had 81027

The older iP4's tend to be the 8 series. The newer ones tend to be the 7 series. *This is not a rule, but an average. It is possible that Apple is also internally updating any left over 8 series as this is only logical. The first number is the factory number. That's why having an 8 series or 7 series it's not too relevant as mentioned above UNLESS that factory happens to be shipping older numbers without the new fix.

A lot of people are receiving xxx27 replacements with some newer xxx28s. xxx29 could be in select distribution areas within a few days. Because of backorders, shipping times and the time it takes to weed out the old with the new all around the world, I'm interested in xxx30 ish or above serial numbers. xxx32 to be super safe.

As someone mentioned above it isn't the future yet ;) so we'll just have to wait. In the meantime we can discuss an xxx28 models and see if they have any antenna issues. It's possible that many xxx27's were fixed but that's too much of a grey area. xxx32 (August) would seem to be safe and Apple's announcement of Sept which equals serial numbers xxx36/37/38/39 would be safest as all the world's older iP4s should be gone by then.

I think you'll find that many xxx28s still have issues UNLESS they were lucky little iP4s that got caught before being sold and were sent back to the factory. I'm guessing that white iP4s will have serials no lower than xxx29. Unless they're being made at a different factory they should read something like 7S_(29/30)_ _ _ _ _ _ _.

NB The other mystery number there is the factory tooling number.

ryanfong

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Sorry to dig this thread out, just a quick one:

Just received the phone and the serial number starts with 67036....(Hong Kong Unlock Version)

I've never seen iPhone4 starts with 67, have you?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
My serial number starts with 5K… why is that everyone's starts with numbers and mine has a letter? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.