Gotham - TV Series

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by The.316, May 12, 2014.

1. The.316, May 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2014

The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

YouTube:

FOX is bringing Gotham to our TVs. Going by the trailer, it seems to be based around the time that Bruce Wayne's parents were murdered, with Gordon being the detective on the case. Love the idea of the show, but will FOX be able to give it life?

Anyone know why I cant embed the YT video?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Click reply to see format for embedding YT video.

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I am excited for this! I like the people they are bringing in also like the fact we get to see the orgins of a few characters. Here is hoping Fox doesn't cancel it after the first season.

4. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

How will this compare to Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins?

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This look interesting to me. I'll be sure and check it out.

6. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

DC's answer to Marvel's Agents of SHIELD? It seems like Gordon will be solving various crimes every week around Gotham, and there may be a few DC characters introduced as children? Not sure if I got that right, but that's my understanding of it.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have a feeling it is going to be a bit more in depth, since they will have a longer time span (13 hours instead of 2.5 hours for example).

8. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

Its focusing too much on Bruce Wayne. The show should be about Gordon. WTF cares what 8 year old Bruce Wayne is doing before he goes on to start training to be Batman. I just feel its going to be Smallville all over again. The concept seemed cool at first but looking at the trailer and being a massive Batman fan boy I have to say that if they spend more than 1 season with Bruce that I will be disspointed. Gotham is a ******** with awful people way before Batman comes in and brings a ton of loonies with him. They could have invented bad guys for this show or even used some of the big mob bosses but no !! Lets use the Riddler and Penguin 15 years before they call themselves that and a 10 year old Poison Ivy and Catwoman because everyone knows how awesome kid actors are !!

I really really don't want to see Bruce Wayne hit puberty !! Go from a cute kid to a pile of **** like the kid who is Bran Stark in GOT

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I am interested but based on Fox's history, they will cancel the show early.

10. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I really wish that you are both wrong, but given Fox's history, I don't hold out much hope.:mad:

11. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

If this will be Smallville except with the Batman story, I won't be watching this.

12. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

You see the trailer its 90% about Bruce !!! I was excited until I saw the Trailer. A good 1st season about the Wayne murders as its important to the city but if they spend more than 1 season on it then the show has 0 shot. The problem with Agents of Shield is they can't bring in a big name hero or villain. This show is going to have the same issue especially now that they added 4 big name bad guys to the show. People will expect to see them do stuff and will be disappointed. They had the perfect out by saying this is 15+ years before Batman or any of his villains showed up. Then they go well 4 of his main villains are here.... who knows maybe the Red Hood will pop up too

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Me too but Fox does this frequently. I am not sure if they truly go by ratings or if some yahoo sells them on a show that looks better to them and they need to make room. I know other networks cancel shows that are seemingly popular, but Fox seems to have a higher track record of doing that.

14. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Not to derail this thread to much, but man Fox kills me! The latest being "Almost Human"!!!

So, I will give it a chance, but I am not going to get to vested in it until we get a couple of seasons out of it.

15. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I dont see that as a problem with Agents of Shield. It's a parallel show. It's the side stuff not in the movies. I like the idea and so far I like the execution even better. Leave out the big names, the smaller details are way more interesting.

16. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yup, I agree. I am hoping to see the back story and early crimes if you will of other characters from the Batman universe. I think they could do some really interesting stuff with this show!

17. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

http://www.newsarama.com/21069-goth...mises-to-surpass-the-dark-knight-trilogy.html
    ..... huh?

18. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I sure hope that they show Gordon's wife give birth to Barbara who will become Batgirl.

19. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if I want them to actually "show it." But I know what you mean.

20. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

I guess im in the minority when I say I loved smallville. :eek:

21. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Nope, I really liked Smallville also. They had some really good episodes. I didn't get into the series till later on though. So I am playing catch up of episodes. But I liked it!

22. PensiveDeepThought macrumors newbie

PensiveDeepThought

this is awesome - can't wait to watch this series.

23. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

We've watched Gotham at my house since the first episode aired and it's been a fun ride. I think Alfred is one of the best parts. It's neat to see how the relationship between he and Bruce develops as he takes on a parental type role.

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm addicted to this show.

That said, I do think the format is starting to show a few cracks.

The first is that they seem to be introducing too many familiar villains way prior to Bruce Wayne growing up to become Batman. Purely aside from the fact that I always sort of assumed all these characters came into fruition at roughly the same time...if week in and week out Jim Gordon and the GCPD go around conquering Hugo Strange and the Riddler, what do we need Batman for??

The second complaint is: stop the repetitive plotting. Wayne Manor gets invaded all the time. (Bruce is filthy rich. He doesn't have any kind of security??) Ditto with Alfred get stabbed, like, every fourth episode. And Mayor James being kidnapped. And Bruce disobeying Alfred's warnings about racing into danger. And Bruce's on-again-off-again would-be romance with Selina.

Currently, though, I'm intrigued by this guy who's teaching Bruce in the Himalayas. I like the actor. He played one of my favorite minor characters, a senator, on The X Files. But is he going to turn out to be Ra's al Guhl?

25. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I think that's very likely the case.