Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CBROnline is reporting that Citrix Systems' software division is considering a Mac counterpart to their popular GoToMyPC software utility.

GoToMyPC allows users to access their Windows PCs remotely. While several similar solutions exist for the Mac -- including Apple's own Remote Desktop -- Citrix's version allows users to remotely access their computers via a web-based client. This allows access from most web-enabled platforms including Mac and Linux PCs.

Regardless, increased interest in the Mac platform by developers can only be seen as a good sign.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I always hear this advertised on a local talk radio station. The "Tech guy" Leo Laporte on a local radio station (I know he does TV as well) is a known Mac-user, and always talks about this service. I assumed it was Mac compatible, but the website said otherwise. Glad to know it's in the works -- I'd love to not be confined to my computer -- there always seems to be a major problem the second I choose to step out of the "office."

Fishes,
narco.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
gotomymac.com still goes to gotomypc.com. As the CBROnline story points out, Citrix owns both domain names.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
This is absolutely brilliant. Anyone who votes this as a negative needs their heads read. What an amazing step forward for macs!! Now less of us will have to use wintel lappies for work! hoorah!

jay

orion123

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2003
Boston
Macrumors said:
This allows access from most web-enabled platforms including Mac and Linux PCs.

I would hope and assume you'd be able to access your Mac through a Web client on a PC as well. With Citrix you can currently access a remote PC via the Mac so it would be great if this lets you go the other way!

(Go Citrix!)

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Most VNC servers out there have Java applet interfaces available to them, as well as clients on damn near any platform out there.

I fail to see the signicance of this, aside from the "w00t for new developers!" factor.

Yebot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
What is most significant, IMO, is that GoToMyPC/GoToMyMac uses http(s). So, you can get through firewalls/proxies etc without having your IT staff open up ports for VNC.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
amberashby said:
I've used the PC version before and it works great. Looking forward to a Mac version.
I'm not - every release of the PC version of Citrix has been a disaster at three different organizations I've worked at whose IT departments implemented it for various reasons.

ChrisBrightwell said:
I fail to see the signicance of this, aside from the "w00t for new developers!" factor.
Agreed - It's always nice to see new developers on board with OS X, but there's folks much higher on my wish-list than Citrix.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
ChrisBrightwell said:
Here's another plus: Having Citrix support for Macs on the server side will add to the acceptance of Macs in corporate environments. It's more of a mindset issue than a technical one.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
ChrisBrightwell said:
Most VNC servers out there have Java applet interfaces available to them, as well as clients on damn near any platform out there.

Unless of course you have a stupid dynamic IP address that seems to change every couple hours!!!

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Memphis, TN
Dippo said:
Unless of course you have a stupid dynamic IP address that seems to change every couple hours!!!

Dnsart, Dynip, NoIP, etc + a SSH tunnel & VNC. A little leg work up front but works great. I do it all the time. Secure & Reliable.

:cool:

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Steamboatwillie said:
Dnsart, Dynip, NoIP, etc + a SSH tunnel & VNC. A little leg work up front but works great. I do it all the time. Secure & Reliable.

:cool:
Some corporations have been disabling outbound ssh connections through their proxies, so that solution no longer always works :mad: (and the solution one endorses, an SSH tunnel service over HTTP kind of like gotomypc imaginatively called ssh-tunnel.com, has only offered a Windows client. :mad: :mad: )

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
FoxyKaye said:
I'm not - every release of the PC version of Citrix has been a disaster at three different organizations I've worked at whose IT departments implemented it for various reasons.

Agreed - It's always nice to see new developers on board with OS X, but there's folks much higher on my wish-list than Citrix.

You're confusing Citrix with GoToMyPC. While the company Citrix owns GoToMyPC it is not related to the Citrix mainframe/thin client system commonly used in corporate environments. GoToMyPC was not even developed by them, Citrix purchased GoToMyPC about a year ago. The product is AMAZING, we use it here for the PCs and it is much, much, much better than VNC (which i currently use on my macs). I'd be the first customer when they release it.

Eric_Z

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
Now if only Minitab could allso be ported to OSX... Then I'd know quite a few people that could be persuaded to swich,.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Love it

I was actually impressed with GoToMyPC when I needed to use it once. It worked far better than I expected. The fact that they are porting it to OS X is a very good sign indeed. Apple's marketshare is on the rise and if companies like this think there is money to be made all the better for us.

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Memphis, TN
iMeowbot said:
Some corporations have been disabling outbound ssh connections through their proxies, so that solution no longer always works :mad: (and the solution one endorses, an SSH tunnel service over HTTP kind of like gotomypc imaginatively called ssh-tunnel.com, has only offered a Windows client. :mad: :mad: )

Yup, I am familiar with that, my solution was to mix up port forwarding on my firewall at home. For example I could use a common port like 80 (incoming) to translate to port 22 on a specific box on my lan at home. Works like a charm. We have a Cisco PIX firewall at work that is locked down like a vice. Doesn't stop me though! :D

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
How much does it cost on PC? I can see occasional uses for it. (If/when I decide to spend what broadband costs.)

accelman

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2005
Anyone notice...

Did anyone notice that on gotomypc.com, in their demos, the monitor shown in the videos is a mac monitor (although, I must say, I don't recognize it...) --- look for the apple logo at the top.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
accelman said:
Did anyone notice that on gotomypc.com, in their demos, the monitor shown in the videos is a mac monitor (although, I must say, I don't recognize it...) --- look for the apple logo at the top.

Hey.... that's a Powerbook G3 screen, if I'm not mistaken. Good catch.

Edit: not ridiculous at all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.