Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
i just installed the iOS 7 ip5 beta and AT&T now has these alerts. We didnt have them before.

Have you gotten an alert on ATT, or are you saying you can see the settings now? I'm not sure the settings - especially in a beta - necessarily imply that the operator is participating in the program...

MegamanX

macrumors regular
May 13, 2013
Sigh - so many wrong answers...

It's called CMAS and its' genesis pre-dates the current administration.

It's not a iOS feature, but iOS does now support it.

Various carriers have deployed CMAS, ATT is not one of them.

Versions of CMAS and CMAS-like systems have been deployed around the world.

There are existing threads on this, search.

Just going to point out ATT does support it. I turned it off on my GS4 for everyone that I could.

I believe a law was pass a long time ago that required all the carriers and phone by X date had to have the system up and running.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Just going to point out ATT does support it. I turned it off on my GS4 for everyone that I could.

I believe a law was pass a long time ago that required all the carriers and phone by X date had to have the system up and running.

Incorrect. Operators can decline to participate, partially participate, or decline to participate at all.

i can see the settings now, but i havent received an alert.

Probably because AT&T has chosen to partially participate.

There's a spreadsheet (and further CMAS implementation information) at:

http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/services/cmas.html

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
Some governments have a Reverse 911 system in place. Residents of that area will be notified of things they should be aware of, such as missing persons and a need to evacuate.

Edit: Residents should ensure any number that can be used to reach them or other household members is in their government's "Reverse 911" system's database.

SC54HI

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
VZW iPhone 4 here, with iOS 6.1.3

Don't have the "government alerts" option in the Notifications area - is this a 4G thing or a matter of where you live?

kosmo-phone

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2013
thanks for clearing it up, worst thing i ever see around here are wrong or misinformed answers.

on a side note, yes ios6 now supports it and it is deployed on money carriers who support its use. i know for a fact Verizon and Sprint support it, as i get the notifications as well as my buddy on Sprint with a droid device.

IPhone 4 Does not support this. There is a local lawyer collecting information for a class action lawsuit to pass on to a group in New York. Apparently Verizon claims the iphone 4 gets it while Apple says it won't.

----------

VZW iPhone 4 here, with iOS 6.1.3

Don't have the "government alerts" option in the Notifications area - is this a 4G thing or a matter of where you live?

Exactly I believe this is the basis for the Lawsuit. The government made it a law. We too have version 6.1.x and it does NOT support these Emergency Alerts

As I said before:
IPhone 4 Does not support this. There is a local lawyer calling people to collect information for a class action lawsuit to pass on to a group in New York. Apparently Verizon claims the iphone 4 gets it while Apple says it won't. And the US Government says they SHOULD. Not sure if the lawsuit is against Verizon Apple or both.

If anyone knows how I can contact them again please pass along their number.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I don't understand how these work. So far I have received 2 alerts on my 4S, one for an amber alert and the other for a flood warning just last week. However the same day as the flood warning a tornado warning was issued for my area, but I and everybody else who got the alert for the flood warning (I was at work so everybody's iPhone's started beeping) did not get any alerts for the tornado warning. I would of much rather been alerted to the tornado just miles away than the flooding which was not and could not affect me based on where I was at.

Slicktype

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Not sure what everyone is talking about AT&T not having this feature because I'm an at&t customer and I "Do". I received a message similar to the OP about two weeks ago on my AT&T 4s.

It Is James

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2013
Washington
It depends on the carrier. I personally have all alerts on, and think it was a good idea to add Amber alerts to it. The only thing you can't turn off is alerts from the president.

I don't know why people would turn these sorts of alerts off anyway. They don't happen often, and they're usually very important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.